Stuck Fermentation, how do I proceed?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThinkinDavid

Reaction score
My carboy has been sitting in the basement in the mid to low 70's. Yesterday I took a reading and it was only at 1.014, so I took it upstairs into my kitchen where it would be a little warmer and swirled her around to stir and wake up the yeast. I was happy to see that there were some signs of fermentation, so I let it sit over night hoping it would have knocked off that extra 4 GUs. Needless to same the gravity did not change. I swirlled it around again and it is showing minor signs of yeast activity. I am wondering if this is a good way to get my yeast to eat up the rest of the sugar, or at least not a bad way. I don't see any reason why they would not be able to celar it to 1.010, there should not be many non-fermentables in there.

What was your OG? Has the hydrometer reading been stable for a few days now? It might just be done...

I'm guessing that "activity" you saw after swirling was CO2 being released from the beer and not yeast...

my OG was 1.046. When I swirl it, it reacts a lot like a starter might when you shake it. And yesterday it had that darker core with a lighter outside which I also attributed as yeast activity. But I'm also wondering if it isn't just done.

It's not yeast activity, it's just you making all the CO2 come out of solution when you swirl it.

I would say it's done and not going any further. I wouldn't really classify 1.014 when expecting 1.010 as a stuck fermentation. The main factor is what your mash temp was/is or how fermentable the extract you used is.

Back