Driving through Kalamazoo

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BugleBrew

Reaction score
Is it worth it to stop at the Bell's shop and restaurant? I know the berewery is not open to the public, but I'm curious to see if it is worth a stop since it is on my way from Chicago back home to detroit tomorrow. Any other decent breweries to stop at?

YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! FIrst off, it's one of the first homebrew shops in Michigan (it was that before it was a brewery) It was also the first Microbrewery in Michigan that could serve beer by the glass.

Secondly they have some beers on tap n their resteraunt that are NOT available commercially...they put stuff from their pilot brewery in there...

From the below blog
Bell’s The Eccentric Cafe offers small batch brews that are not distributed outside of the pub as well as interesting food, an extensive collection of art and ephemera, and live music. I regret never visiting The Eccentric Cafe while I lived in Ohio (something in my blood would not let me cross the border).

There's good info on the place, here...

Hop Slam DUNK! « The Beer Wench

Yes do yourself a favor and stop at Bells. :) Bring cash! Last time I was there the bar was still cash only. Head an hour north and check out Founders in GR. Their beer is awesome as well :rockin:

It was still cash only as of last month. The brew shop is great.

If you are hungry, skip eating at Bells. It's a restaurant in name only. Go to Fooddance around the corner. It's very good.

stop at bells! best brew shop in sw mich. also arcadia in battle creek is good beer and food or hit dark horse in marshall.

Two other great choices!

+2

Formerly from Battle Creek. Three of my favorite places to go. Wish we got Bell's here. And Arcadia's Scotch Ale. :(

Check out Dragon Mead Brewery in Warren, too. I love their Under the Kilt Wee Heavy. (You can also get it in Battle Creek at the Griffon, an English pub just down the street from Arcadia.)

We just got hopslam on tap here and I must say I wish I had the chance to stop in Kalamazoo and have a beer at Larry's place.

Had a great time in Kazoo yesterday. Stopped into the bar for a drink. My wife had a milk stout and I had the java stout, both excellent brews. You're right, it is definitely a 'restaurant' and bar, but it didn't bother me because there was a checkers down the road (mmmmm.... checkers).

Then we headed over to the shop and bought some ingredients for my next brew. Unfortunately they have a relatively small selection of hops, and no bins of bulk grains to only grab however much you need, but they still have a pretty good supply. You crush your own grains with one of their barley crushers (I almost convinced my wife that we should get one since she had so much fun crushing the grain, but not this time). The crush was significantly finer than what I've gotten at any of the other brew stores I've bought from since going all grain, so it will be interesting to see if this fixes my efficiency issues. The people in the store were really helpful as well.

Terrific experience. I wish I could have stayed longer (read: I wish I wasn't driving so I could have sampled a few more beers). I was drooling looking out the window and seeing a wall covered with cases of hopslam...

Thanks for the positive bump. I'll definitely be going back.

Back