American Pale Ale Da Yooper's House Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kegged this today. Wow what a punch of flavor from my hydrometer reading! Yum Yum Yooper! and thank you. Brewed the original recipe doubled for 10gallon batch. Fermented us05 at 68. Can not wait for this to age.
Eric

Brewed this one for my first time yesterday. I decided to ferment this one in the keg as an exbeeriment. This will be my second attempt at fermenting in the keg with a recipe that calls for dry hops. Looking forward to a hoppy aroma! Ferment keg is on the left. Gas IN port is connected over to the serving keg's Liquid OUT port. This will purge oxygen from serving keg during fermentation. After a few more days I will add dry hops to the ferment keg. When fermentation is finished I will transfer beer over to serving keg using the liquid OUT ports. The pressure relief valve (spunding valve) is set to 5psi. By fermenting under pressure I am hoping to keep the Krausen down and avoid a bunch of foam pushing through the hose. Fingers crossed!

:cask:
20200406_105945.jpg

I used this grain bill for my latest beer. It looked so yummy :D I used some cascade, but went mainly for Sabro hops in the recipe. Im fermenting this under pressure at 12 psi with lallemands kveik yeast. I finished the beer late last night at 3 in the morning and allreasy today at 9 it was going strong in the fermenter. The brewing room smells heavenly! Cant wait for this to finish. Dont think im going to dry hop this one since im using the fermenter as a keg, my other one is occupied with a Stout.

Will keep you updated. Thnaks for the recipe Yooper!

Attachments

• BeerCalc_ Sabro_Cascade Kveik Pale Ale.pdf
    53.3 KB · Views: 51
5 pounds pale malt (I used marris otter)
3 pounds vienna malt
2 pounds Munich malt
1/2 pound crystal 20L
1/2 pound crystal 60L

1 ounce Cascade 60 minutes
.75 ounce cascade 30 minutes
1 ounce Cascade 10 minutes
1/2 ounce cascade 5 minutes
1/2 ounce cascade flameout

1 ounce cascade (dryhop)

I used homegrown cascade for the late hopping additions, so had to guestimate the final IBUs, but used commercial pellet hops for the bittering additions (8% AAU).

Mashed at 154. Fermented at low ale temps (62) for two weeks, then dryhopped for a week.

This beer is my attempt at Lakefront Brewery's Cream City Pale Ale. I don't know if it's close- we don't have any to compare it to! But i was going for a slightly bitter, malt forward, APA. It worked! This beer is balanced, but definitely an APA. It's our new "house beer".

Edited to add new information: I don't use S05 much any more as it never clears well for me and can have "peachy notes" I no longer like. I love WLP001 for this beer, which is very similar but clears a bit better with no "peach" notes. I also mash at 152 with my new system, as I get better attenuation that way.

View attachment 10250
I see that you had considered increasing the amount of Munich malt in this recipe, and wondered if you had tried it. I have run across a farmhouse ale recipe that uses mostly Munich malt, and Hallertauer hops. I am not too experienced, but reading about the flavors one can get from Munich malt made me wonder if you or anyone had tried it. I can't find any other farmhouse ale recipes that use Munich malt as most of the grain bill. I want to try it, but may follow your recipe first. Thanks. I know this post is literally 14 years old, but was searching for a recipe.

I see that you had considered increasing the amount of Munich malt in this recipe, and wondered if you had tried it. I have run across a farmhouse ale recipe that uses mostly Munich malt, and Hallertauer hops. I am not too experienced, but reading about the flavors one can get from Munich malt made me wonder if you or anyone had tried it. I can't find any other farmhouse ale recipes that use Munich malt as most of the grain bill. I want to try it, but may follow your recipe first. Thanks. I know this post is literally 14 years old, but was searching for a recipe.

No I decided that it was malty enough, and didn’t do it! Munich is very malty and very nice, but it’s a bit much in beers if overdone.

I did Yooper's recipe using BIAB. I did it this way because I am partly lazy. I do have a mash tun. I used my brew kettle and the brewing mesh bag to hold the mash temp at 154 degrees F occasionally turning on the flame of course. I stirred the grain constantly but gently. Had to pay close attention to the mash temp of course, since this is not a mash tun. As for sparging, I tried the dunk sparge method, using about 3 gallons of sparge water in a large pot heated to about 170 degrees F. Probably harder in terms of recovering sparge water (I squeezed the bag and that is not easy with 11 lbs of wet grain in it, but I wanted to try it). Had a boil volume of 6 gallons, probably should have gone a bit higher as I ended up with slightly less than 5 gallons at the end. But, I did get the OG target as Yooper had written. So thus far, I will hope that the rest goes well. I ferment at a higher temp, around 68 degrees, will see how that goes, but the WLP001 ale yeast seems to work in that range. Not sure how long to dry hop, will do a week.

5 pounds pale malt (I used marris otter)
3 pounds vienna malt
2 pounds Munich malt
1/2 pound crystal 20L
1/2 pound crystal 60L

1 ounce cascade (dryhop)

I used homegrown cascade for the late hopping additions, so had to guestimate the final IBUs, but used commercial pellet hops for the bittering additions (8% AAU).

Mashed at 154. Fermented at low ale temps (62) for two weeks, then dryhopped for a week.

This beer is my attempt at Lakefront Brewery's Cream City Pale Ale. I don't know if it's close- we don't have any to compare it to! But i was going for a slightly bitter, malt forward, APA. It worked! This beer is balanced, but definitely an APA. It's our new "house beer".

Edited to add new information: I don't use S05 much any more as it never clears well for me and can have "peachy notes" I no longer like. I love WLP001 for this beer, which is very similar but clears a bit better with no "peach" notes. I also mash at 152 with my new system, as I get better attenuation that way.

View attachment 10250

Recipe looks beautiful. My local brew shop has light and dark munich. The lighter being 8 lovi and the darker being 13. Or does it not matter and im just being a noob?

Recipe looks beautiful. My local brew shop has light and dark munich. The lighter being 8 lovi and the darker being 13. Or does it not matter and im just being a noob?

You’ll want the lighter Munich is most cases, unless dark Munich being specified!

Just had my first couple bottles of my first ever batches. This beer is simply delish, definitely gonna be brewing this more often then not. Id like to try some of your other recipes since this beer seemed to mesh well with my taste. Again, thanks for the recipe and all the input. Got my 2nd batch on a boil as i type this.

Thanks,
Paul

Munich is very malty and very nice, but it’s a bit much in beers if overdone.
dirty dirty lies. 100% munich beer isn't enough munich. not fitting for an American APA, but in principle, you just can't over-munich.

dirty dirty lies. 100% munich beer isn't enough munich. not fitting for an American APA, but in principle, you just can't over-munich.

Well, since this is my recipe, in a thread discussing an American pale ale recipe, I think that saying 100% munich is too much is understood to be discussing this recipe and not Munich dunkel. Thanks for your contribution, though.

Any thoughts on brewing this as a dark lager ? More suited to summer ?

Same recipe with a lager yeast and semi cool fermentation temp ?

I've added 1/2 ounce of Nugget hops at FWB, and for me it really knocks it out of the park. They're homegrown so I couldn't tell you what the AAU for it is. This has been my house pale ale for a number of years.

Just picked 1 lb of cascade hops from a buddy. Gonna use this recipe but go fresh hop, with pellets for the dry hopping.

Long time lurker, first time poster. Made this all grain recipe as listed.

OG: 1.054 (using a Tilt and after a yeast pitch I believe)
FG: 1.008
ABV: 6%

Wanted to inform that all these years later, the recipe is solid if people are still brewing it. I enjoy the recipe and will make it again. I noticed that I under carbed initially and got a lot of crystal flavor, so I thought I'd dial it down but after proper carbonation, I wouldn't change it.

This was (if everything goes well) my last brew on my propane system, and I look forward to seeing how it comes out with the grainfather.

Thank you for the recipe Yooper!
20220613_193059.jpg

Which version of the recipe did you go with?
Admittedly, I didn't document like I should have, but from what I remember, I did use:

5 pounds marris otter
3 pounds vienna malt
2 pounds Munich malt
1/2 pound crystal 20L
1/2 pound crystal 60L

I remember thinking "what am I going to do with the remaining 0.25oz of hops, so I added it somewhere towards the end. I mashed at the 154 listed, but I did use WLP001. I did not dry hop like the original recipe called for.

For my water profile, I used RO from one of those water places you see in the parking lot. I used 3.44 gallons to achieve the 1.25qt/lb thickness. My process in the past was to fill two five gallon buckets filled with water, and add to both:
Gypsum
CaSO4
0.95g

Calc. Chloride
CaCl2
1.9g

Epsom Salt
MgSO4
1.4g

Baking Soda
NaHCO3
0.75g

This achieved:
Calcium​
Magnesium​
Sodium​
Chloride​
Sulfate​
Chloride / Sulfate​
(Ca ppm)​
(Mg ppm)​
(Na ppm)​
(Cl ppm)​
(SO4 ppm)​
Ratio​
Mash Water Profile:​
56​
10​
16​
70​
83​
0.85​
Mash + Sparge Water Profile:​
Palmer's Recommended Ranges:
50 - 150
10 - 30
0 - 150
0 - 250
50 - 350
.77 to 1.3 = Balanced

I added phosphoric acid to bring pH to around 5.3-5.4.

I sparged enough to get 6.5 gallons of wort to boil. Fermented at 62F.

Yoop!
First attempt at this one. Also my first brew after an 18mo hiatus. Stuffed up the mash and came too high on the temp (beyond 70'C / 158F) and had to work it back down.
The (perceived) bitterness seems too much for me, prob due to mash issues
Colour is just a beauty, but BJCP2015.18B shows 5-10 for APA...my guess is this is around 17
photo_2022-09-11_21-09-15.jpg

Can't wait to retry this one. Have done a Munich Dunkel and Schwarzbier since (both busy fermenting)

Last edited:
Brewed one month before Easter. Almost gone. Boosted it to 1.070. Great grain bill - wonderful flavor. I will be brewing it again soon. And, later, I'm thinking of adapting the grain bill for something else... but what?

Back