NanoBrewery build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great thread! Anything new going on?

Thank you. I'm in the process of creating a 1 barrel brewery now. I bought four 35 gallon plastic conical containers that I'm modifying to be my fermenters instead of going with the one SS vessel I mentioned earlier. Still waiting on some parts before I can get to brewing again.
I also turned in the paperwork to try and get a loan to build a bigger brewhouse so I won't be so cramped with the larger setup. I'll also be sure and build it large enough to handle the 7 bbl system I have waiting for me.

Here's the conical.
30 gal.jpg

Time for a new Brew house. I've submitted paperwork for the loan and spoke to the guy who'll do the grading and started work on plans. It will be a 20 X 30 sized building, 2 stories, and here's a picture of the location. You can see the current brew house in the background.

2-19-11 Chappell Brewery.jpg

So that 7 barrel system will finally be activated, great score on it last year.
Scott, we have that same looking white stuff on the hills all around my area, park peaks over 6" of white.
Can I have your old brew building since it's too small I have flatebed will pick up?
Future building progress photos are required.

So that 7 barrel system will finally be activated, great score on it last year.
Scott, we have that same looking white stuff on the hills all around my area, park peaks over 6" of white.
Can I have your old brew building since it's too small I have flatebed will pick up?
Future building progress photos are required.

I'll run the 1 bbl as long as I can and slowly get the 7bbl ready to go.
The old brew house is going to be converted to a music room for my son the drummer. Get him out of the garage and away from the house. :D
I'll be sure and keep the photos coming and monitor the progress.

:rockin:well hbhoss i have to say good job i hope all is going well in 2011 i have also built a brew house in my yard but just for freinds and me but you are a good roll modle for all of us to someday hope to open our own pro brewery:rockin:

Phew.. made it through the thread finally. Really exciting stuff! Funny thing was that I saw the first page of you building the brewhouse and I thought about my parents property and that I could probably build something similar there. Then I looked at your location and they are in the same place! My parents bought property in Mariposa last June (off Chowchilla). I'll be visiting at the end of March, but in the meantime maybe I can get them to stop in and pick me up a couple of sixers. Good luck to ya, hopefully we can chat in March when I'm in town.

Phew.. made it through the thread finally. Really exciting stuff! Funny thing was that I saw the first page of you building the brewhouse and I thought about my parents property and that I could probably build something similar there. Then I looked at your location and they are in the same place! My parents bought property in Mariposa last June (off Chowchilla). I'll be visiting at the end of March, but in the meantime maybe I can get them to stop in and pick me up a couple of sixers. Good luck to ya, hopefully we can chat in March when I'm in town.

Perhaps I'll have some of the new brew house built by then and you can check it out too. Hope to see you in March. :mug:
btw, they're just a few miles away from me.

wow, well i must say i didnt think id make it thru all 69 pages tonight but i did and i am impressed, i like to see this sort of thing. makes me want to print this thread and show it to all the haters out there who say its a waste of time to do, i mean do what you love and make a little money on the side.. my only question is you never thought you would want to maybe sell food and kinda do a brewpub sort of setup to help keep your business going.. Congrats once again and wish i was on the west coast to come check it out! consider me subscribed to this thread. cant wait to read more as you grow!

Thank you. I'm in the process of creating a 1 barrel brewery now. I bought four 35 gallon plastic conical containers that I'm modifying to be my fermenters instead of going with the one SS vessel I mentioned earlier.

I'm curious what you are planning on doing with these as far as fittings and cooling. I'm looking at maybe using a couple of these in the 2bbl size for a pilot system, and cool them using the glycol chilling plates that are made for variable capacity wine tanks that hang from the lid. I'm assuming you need to add a couple of fittings for racking and blow-off, since they only have a 2" NPT on the bottom for dumping yeast/trub.

I'm curious what you are planning on doing with these as far as fittings and cooling. I'm looking at maybe using a couple of these in the 2bbl size for a pilot system, and cool them using the glycol chilling plates that are made for variable capacity wine tanks that hang from the lid. I'm assuming you need to add a couple of fittings for racking and blow-off, since they only have a 2" NPT on the bottom for dumping yeast/trub.

I'm using directions from Hess Brewing. He used the same containers and drilled at about the 1 gallon mark and attached a bulkhead fitting into which is attached 1.5" Tri-clamp, or tri-clover or TC, fittings. I'm switching everything to 1 - 1.5" TC fittings now. The bottom required a little more rigging but it's PVC and then the TC fitting to which is attached a butterfly valve and on the bottom I'm using a 90 degree elbow for drainage or yeast dumping. So far I've only outfitted one of the fermenters with the bulkhead fitting until I find out how high I need to place it to drain off just brew and no yeast.
Here's a link to the instructions I used. http://hessbrewing.blogspot.com/2010/06/conicalus-for-restivus.html
These will be stored in my temperature controlled room and I have a SS IC that I'll use in the boil kettle.

I'm upgrading the plumbing on my 3-tier system from 1/4" to 3/8" copper tubing. That should get the propane flowing. Should increase the btu's from 60,000 to 170,000. I'll need it to get the 35+ gallons of wort boiling in a reasonable amount of time.

Very cool stuff - I have a feeling this thread will never die (a good thing)! Best of luck to you! Very inspirational seeing you progress from 10 gal batches to 31 gal. Looking forward to seeing the progress on the new brewery building. Go Hoss go!

Wow! What a great story. Congrats!

If you had to do it all over again, would you have tried to start off bigger? Anything else you would have done differently?

Wow! What a great story. Congrats!

If you had to do it all over again, would you have tried to start off bigger? Anything else you would have done differently?

Thanks. I don't think I would have done it any differently. I think starting out small to test the water , so to speak, and then growing as the need for the product grows put less pressure on me. Plus I get to brew without the worry of ruining large batches. I'll still use my 10 gallon to do test batches. Now that I'm getting a loan and building an actual "brewery" designed building the pressure is on to pump out the product but I at least know the demand is there. Had I started out big without knowing the demand would be there then there would have been some sleepless nights. ;)

I thought 170,000 btu's would be enough to get 35 gallons boiling, but it's not. It gets it close to boiling but not the rolling boil I need. I'm looking at a 32 jet nozzle, 320,000 btu burner instead. Doesn't look like I'll be doing any 31 gallon batches until the new brewery is built. :(

i dont know if i missed it along this thread, but what does the 31 gallon pot look like?

i dont know if i missed it along this thread, but what does the 31 gallon pot look like?

The boil kettle is a 55 gallon Blichmann and the Mash Tun is a custom made stainless steel MT that I added a Blichmann Brewmometer to. The boil kettle is 24 inches across. My Oompa Loompas can hide in it. :D

I havent read the first million posts but... I have 45 gal boil kettle (45 gal HLT, 35 gal MT and 45 gal Bk) and I use the 32 jet burner plumbed into a nat gas line in my house and that'll bring 35 gallons to a hard boil pretty quick. I have one for the HLT and one for the BK.

Matter of fact... I typically heat 25 gallons of strike water in that pot pretty quickly for every brew session.

I boil off almost two gallons per hour in the bk.

And sorry for the quick re-post. I'm curious to see how you put the conicals together. I have four myself (probably did the same as you and got four cause it was cheaper with shipping to do it that way).

Jesus.... I need to build a shed!!!

Time for a new Brew house. I've submitted paperwork for the loan and spoke to the guy who'll do the grading and started work on plans. It will be a 20 X 30 sized building, 2 stories, and here's a picture of the location. You can see the current brew house in the background.

View attachment 20784

Turns out the county won't let me build where I wanted to because it's to close to the road. :mad: So I found another spot closer to my house but first I have to remove all the junk that's there now, including 2 sheds and 2 stacks of Cedar logs :cross: It'll work out better being closer to electrical and water, I'm just not looking forward to moving all the stuff.
Here's the new spot, in all its glory :D

New spot for brew house.jpg

That's a great "before" picture. Looking forward to seeing the "after." Then again, I'm not the one that has to move all that! ;)

Looks like you'll have some excavation work to do as well?

That's a great "before" picture. Looking forward to seeing the "after." Then again, I'm not the one that has to move all that! ;)

Looks like you'll have some excavation work to do as well?

Scott, do you have to dig below the "frostline" for your water?

It's pretty flat already. The brewhouse won't be much wider then the rearward shed. I'll have the the guy smooth and widen the entrance when he flattens out the base.
If I were to run a water line below the surface, then I would put it below the frost line which is only about 6 inches or less up here.

Hey dude. Nice work. I would suggest trying to register with the beer mapping project.
http://beermapping.com/
I was in Mariposa in November, but had no idea you were even there, since all I do when traveling to a new area is look at the beer map. We checked out Mariposa Brewing, but honestly it wasn't very good. I'll be sure to drop by your place next time I'm up there... but who knows when that'll be.

Hey dude. Nice work. I would suggest trying to register with the beer mapping project.
http://beermapping.com/
I was in Mariposa in November, but had no idea you were even there, since all I do when traveling to a new area is look at the beer map. We checked out Mariposa Brewing, but honestly it wasn't very good. I'll be sure to drop by your place next time I'm up there... but who knows when that'll be.

Mariposa Brewing is now out of business. I guess most people agreed with you. ;)

Wow, that's strange. When we were there he was just moving into a new tap room on the main street there.

It seems to have been a last ditch effort to gain some business and try to sell the business as a package deal. He ended up skipping town owing back rent and left all his equipment behind, which got sold as a package.

wow.. my mom was just saying this morning that they thought it was weird that he moved into town and now it looks like it's gone. Guess this confirms it.

Turns out the county won't let me build where I wanted to because it's to close to the road. :mad: So I found another spot closer to my house but first I have to remove all the junk that's there now, including 2 sheds and 2 stacks of Cedar logs :cross: It'll work out better being closer to electrical and water, I'm just not looking forward to moving all the stuff.
Here's the new spot, in all its glory :D

Save those cedar logs to age a beer on. Kind of like a tribute to where you started. Or something else corny like that.

5 gallon batches to 1 bbl batches to building a 7 bbl setup in 1.5 years... amazing. Many many many congratulations. Awesome stuff man...

Cheers to the Chappell Brewery!

wow this is amazing. I just read it all in one sitting. Truly inspiring man. Congrats and continued success...

Back