hop utilization

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimba009

Reaction score
ok, i feel like a retard asking this. If i cut a recipe in half, do i cut the hop amount in half as well or do they need to stay the same? i guess i am asking if the ibu's will remain constant if i cut the amount in half.

Do you mean going from like 5 gallons to 2.5 gallons? If so, the simple answer is yes. If the recipe calls for 1oz for 60 minutes and 1 oz for 10 minutes then just do .5 oz for each time. Others might tell you different and they might use big scientific and mathematical equations to back them up and they will probably be more exact and correct but using half will work just fine.

ok, i feel like a retard asking this. If i cut a recipe in half, do i cut the hop amount in half as well or do they need to stay the same? i guess i am asking if the ibu's will remain constant if i cut the amount in half.

Do you have a program like Beersmith or anything? Plugging the numbers into that would tell you exactly what you need to know.

of course not, that would be to simple(the beersmith question). in reply to Yunus, i am referring to the batches in that way. i am really enjoying doing three gallon batches on the stove top, but i have not had the chance to taste one that is finished yet.

Back