First AG is happening right now...longer than i expected :)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fat x nub

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Damn...those videos on youtube make it look like it taked 5 minutes to heat the strike water...taking for ****in EVER!!! Oh well...its a nice morning here in georgia so im just sitting in the trunk of my car listening to brew netweork :). And my mash tun is leakin at the spout so i sent the old man out to get some rubber gaskets instead of metal washers. Im pumped! I will let you guys know what it turns out :ban:

My first AG went on yesterday. I enjoyed it more than using that sticky, extract mess. I was happy to use all the new toys I made too. Hope your brew turns out well!

Seems to take me 5+ hours from getting everything ready to cleanup.

Its a half a day for sure.

Seems to take me 5+ hours from getting everything ready to cleanup.

Its a half a day for sure.

That's usually mine too-- I'm still designing my brewstand-- but hopefully when that is done, i'll be able to get it closer to 4.

Where in Atlanta are you? Rubber gaskets are the way to go-- good choice.

What'cha brewing?

im in between marietta and roswell....east cobb. but the mash is happening right now...its not taken that long. kinda keepin clean as i go cuz after its off to the braves game :). And im brewing a Cenitnneal Blonde. And rubber gaskets are awesome...right when i installed them there was no more leak

This is my one week anniversary for my first AG brew. I did it solo and it took six hours. I started at 4:00 and finished at 10:00. Now I am in a mad scramble trying to get my Kegerator set up. Hope it turns out well and you don't miss your baseball game.

This is my one week anniversary for my first AG brew. I did it solo and it took six hours. I started at 4:00 and finished at 10:00. Now I am in a mad scramble trying to get my Kegerator set up. Hope it turns out well and you don't miss your baseball game.

Stop scrambling you have a good 5 weeks before you are drinking that first batch. RDWHABMC at least for the next month or so.:D

Starting the boil now and cleaing all the grain out of my mash tun (thats a pain). I already like AG better. The smell is so much fresher and cleaner...the smell is probaly my favorite part. And just sitting outside and readin "the joy of homebrewing" is a great feeling. I can't wait til fall when its 65 degrees and im doing this

Good luck, man. I just finished my first AG brew today. It went ok, except for a miscalculation of evaporation rates. I learned a lot in the process.

I brewed a Pale Ale out on my back deck. Dang if it wasn't hotter'n hell out too. I put away about 5 homebrews in the process.

I hope all went well on your brew day!

Congrats on your first AG!

I agree that the smell of the mash is awesome. What's even better is if you try first wort hopping. FWH is when you allow your first runnings and sparges to drain onto your first hop additions. Rather than adding them when you've achieved your boil, you let them steep in the 140-150ish degree wort. This smells fantastic. But better yet it gives you a more well-rounded hop flavor and a slight increase in IBUs.

There are several threads on the topic that can be found using the search option.

Congrats again, and welcome to the AG club.

So its complete :ban:. All went well. It was a nice brew day...went from about 8am to 2pm. I think i boiled a bit too long...probably had 4.8 gallons in the end (not that big of a deal). I also found a huge wort chilling station out of a hgue tin pot...put 20 pounds of ice in there and some water and wort is chilled in 20 minutes. I really like AG A LOT more than extract. It really teachs you to just chill and let things happen naturally. I could do this onc or twice a month easily. And i will get kegs in about two weeks so probably twice a month. I had a great day and made it to the braves game...to bad we lost :(. Oh yeah...and i NAILED the OG at 1.039!!!!

I'll be doing my first AG tomorrow, I hope everything goes as well as it did for you.

yeah dude....before u do it go to a book store and pck up "the joy of homebrewing" its a great read while u haveto wait an hour during mash

I have that book, as well I have read and reread How to Brew several times. I'm sure everything will go good.

fat x nub - Wow, congratulations on a great first AG. For some of us I think it is best described as "The three stooges". But you know, you used up all your luck in your AG, so your team paid the debt. :)
I have the luck of the Irish, Its all bad.
Or another line I use is "Luck and I are on a first name basis, do you want to meet Bad?"

I enjoyed it more than using that sticky, extract mess.

I've never though of it that way, but in retrospect I have always _hated_ the stickiness of extracts. Since I started brewing on the porch I can hose stuff off if it gets tacky to the touch. Maybe I am sticky-OCD or something.

fat x nub - Wow, congratulations on a great first AG. For some of us I think it is best described as "The three stooges". But you know, you used up all your luck in your AG, so your team paid the debt. :)
I have the luck of the Irish, Its all bad.
Or another line I use is "Luck and I are on a first name basis, do you want to meet Bad?"

haha..thanks

Back