can anyone help estimate FG ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rescue brew

Reaction score
OG is 1.050

been in primary for two weeks and I'm at 1.016 right now

didn't use a recipe that gave me an expected gravity

Chris_Dog said:
Much more info is needed to estimate FG.

Like, the recipe, and the type of yeast.

All the yeast strains have differing rates of attenuation, and some ingredients are more fermentable than others. It would just be a guess to give you a figure without those other variables.

oh sorry, im new

7 lbs jon bull dark malt extract
1/2 lbs chocolate malt
1/2 lbs roasted barley
2 oz fuggles hops
white labs irish ale yeast

You're pretty close, then. Irish Ale Yeast has an average attenuation of 71.5%, so you can expect 1.013-1.015ish.
What temperature is your beer right now? did you correct for that on the hydrometer?

temp stays at 75 all the time, I would move it to a cooler area but, i dont have room anywhere else.

i use temp strips on carboys

So, you read 1.016 at 75 degrees? If your hydrometer is calibrated for 60 degrees, your corrected sg would be 1.018. Check your paperwork that came with the hydrometer, to make sure. Most are calibrated for 60 degrees, but some are not.

YooperBrew said:
So, you read 1.016 at 75 degrees? If your hydrometer is calibrated for 60 degrees, your corrected sg would be 1.018. Check your paperwork that came with the hydrometer, to make sure. Most are calibrated for 60 degrees, but some are not.

So my OG would actually be 1.052? ok , thanks

Back