Hibiscus mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluespark

Reaction score
I just added hibiscus to secondary on some mead I made with ec1118. The color is spectacular. I got hooked on 'Jamaica' in the yucatan, so I thought a hibiscus mead sounded great.
Obviously having used ec1118 to full alcohol tolerance (18 ish %) I have a while to wait for a decent tasting.

So have you made any, and if so, how was it?

I just started one on Jan 5 using this recipe:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f30/dandelion-honey-368108/#post4594911

I steeped the hibiscus for 10 minutes in boiled water then dumped it all into primary.

It's really dark and bubbling steadily.

What recipe did you use?

IMG_1959.jpg

I've been looking into this since I love hibiscus (Jamaica) tea and am looking at making my first mead. Everything I've read says to NOT leave the hibiscus in with things, but to steep, then get rid of it. I know the longer you steep it, the more bitter the tea is.

Just my 2 cents.

I made i hibiscus mead in July that i bottled in October so its about 5ish months old right now. What i did was i used 2lbs of wildflower honey, and some Hibiscus in syrup used in champagne flutes to look pretty. I added about half the syrup mabe 2-3 oz and 4 flowers to the primary and racked off it into the secondary. It turned out nice and clear, the flavor needed a little bit of work because it was slightly astringent. I think you are right where it should have been steeped instead of let set in the secondary or primary.

Happy Brewing

Back