Carbonation for a Bourbon infused stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duffbeer71

Reaction score
I have a carbonation question. I brewed 5 gallons of a Founder's Breakfast Stout clone, fermented and moved to secondary. Then we bottled 2.5 gallons and transferred the other 2.5 gallons to a 3 gallon carboy, where we added 1 ounce of oak cubes that had been soaking in 8 ounces Maker's Mark bourbon for a week, plus the bourbon, to the 3 gallon carboy and have had it aging for about 2 months. We use priming sugar for carbonation and was wondering if we had to add more priming sugar to the bourbon beer than we did with the non bourbon half? We got a really nice carbonation in the Breakfast Stout clone and would be happy with the same carbonation results, but I am not sure if the bourbon would alter the results. The ABV of the Founders clone came out to 8.2%. What would 8 ounces of bourbon add alcohol wise to the beer? Would it be recommended to add more yeast at bottling time?

That depends on the upper tolerance limit of the yeast you used. I brewed a dark ale,puting 5 jiggers of Beam's Black on 4oz of medium toast french oak chips in an airtight container in the fridge for the duration of primary. I re-hydrated 4/7g packets of Cooper's ale yeast,which can take about 8%ABV. Worked pretty well too. Watch those re-hydrate temps. They need to be like 90-105F. Poured all through a hop sack into secondary,tied it off,& dumped the chip bag in to rack the dark ale onto them. Took two months to condition properly. But I do honestly think it needed more carbonation. I say to up the VCO2 a little bit. But be carefull,don't overdo it or you'll mess with the flavor profile.

Back