DME shelf life?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tidwellc

Reaction score
So, does DME have any sort of shelf life? Whatever small amount is left over after brew day I usually save for priming or making starters with. After the package has been opened, I put the remainder in an air-tight container on my countertop for the next month or so until I need some.

I'm not really worried about it going bad, but will it have the same level of fermentability after a while?

I've been buying DME in 50 lb bags to cut costs. I just wrap the bag well and store in the fridge to keep it dry. It seems to last very well.

I think the biggest thing I've heard about DME is making sure it stays dry. Moisture will quickly ruin it. So as long as it stays nice and dry it should last for well over a month and I'd bet even 6 or more under the right conditions.

Yes, very important to keep moisture out of it. I live in a very humid area (85% - 100% relative humidity all the time). If you let moisture at it then it will turn hard as rock and start to get funky too. I keep mine in vacuum sealed bags in the freezer (lasts at least a full year or more).

Latest posts

Back