Help, Hazy Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lcf8088

Reaction score
Second time brewing this mild. First time was crystal clear. Racked beer was clear, picked up none of the cake. Carbed it up in the keg and chilled it and I get hazy beer. The picture is after a day so it's not chill haze.
Any ideas? It tastes great so it's not infected either.
ForumRunner_20120609_173514.jpg

ShackNasty said:
If it tastes great I am struggling to see the dilemma.

The OP would like this beer to be clear like it was the first time he brewed it. It is not. Hence his dilemma. He's not looking for help with the beer's taste.

To the OP - it is indeed strange if it is not chill haze (that photo was taken of an non-chilled beer, right?). Was anything added in the secondary/keg?

Let it chill for a week, or two, at serving pressure and see how it comes out. Also, if that's the first pint you pulled, you could have all the trub (you'll ever get) in that one glass.

If you did the rapid force carbonation, with shaking and such, it just needs time to calm down, settle down, equalize, before it looks pretty in the glass...

Personally, I use the two weeks (or more) at serving pressure carbonation method. Gives great carbonation results, as well as very clear brew into the glass.

Two easy chill haze fighters:

Immersion chiller or plate/counterflow chiller.

Whirlfloc tabs.

Never been a problem since I started using both.

Pez.

Two easy chill haze fighters:

Immersion chiller or plate/counterflow chiller.

Whirlfloc tabs.

Never been a problem since I started using both.

Pez.

Even without Whirlfloc/Irish Moss, and just a fast chill method you get clear brew... I forgot the Irish Moss in a recent pale ale recipe. Came out clear anyway. I still try to remember it in batches, but it's comforting to know it's not the only part of the equation. :D

All-Grain
60 Min Boil
5#12oz Maris Otter
10.1 oz English Crystal 55L
6.1 oz Crystal 120L
3 oz Chocolate
0.75 EKG (45min)
London 1968 Yeast

Everything with the OG and FG was close as expected. I do use whirlfloc and a immersion chiller.

The pictured beer was warmed up and the haze did not change one bit (I left it out overnight to warm up).

I did not add anything to the keg.

I personally do not care if its hazy or not but I brew for my wife and family and they're picky about homebrew /shrug

I always pull one pint and offer it to the beer angels.:mug: This was my third pint I pulled.

To carb I put it at serving pressure in the kegerator and it was at 1.5 weeks when I pulled the pint.

Thanks for the help guys, just trying to figure out what happened for knowledge sake. I guess I can only let it sit another week or two and see if it happens to clear.

let it sit longer, if you use whirlfloc, it very well could just be that you racked more trub than usual without noticing. My guess is it will clear as you pull more from the keg.

How long was it in primary? If you have clear lines for the beer in the keezer/kegorator/brew fridge, it is clear in there? What temperature is the keg at?

Since it tastes good, and it's really just cosmetic, it will be harder to hunt down the reason for the haze. Since you didn't really use anything that causes haze in a brew, it's got to be something else.

When was the last time you REALLY cleaned the beer line from the keg(s)?? I clean between each keg, running 2-4 quarts of PBW solution through first, followed by 2-4 quarts of clean water, followed by 2-4 quarts of StarSan solution. End result is a very clean, sanitized, beer hose going to the next keg. I also use 10-15psi to push the solutions through the hose while cleaning it (I use a separate CO2 tank/bottle and regulator for this).

I was wondering myself if it was truly done fermenting yet,& given time to clean up & settle out clear before racking over. Or maybe a wheat beer yeast was used by mistake,or some other low flocculation yeast?...

I was wondering myself if it was truly done fermenting yet,& given time to clean up & settle out clear before racking over. Or maybe a wheat beer yeast was used by mistake,or some other low flocculation yeast?...

With the recipe listed below, we don't know how long it was in primary/allowed to ferment. But, given that it was 'clear' I would assume that it was either done, or damned close to it. With the OP listing Wyeast 1968, it's not a wheat yeast, and it has a 'very high' flocculation rating. Plus, with it being in a chilled keg (it IS chilled right?) it would have settled most things out before pulling a pint (or three already)... I highly suspect it's something in/with the lines or faucet at this point. If the OP has another faucet to use, try shifting the keg to that one.

That would imply infection to be that cloudy. He said it tastes fine so it's something else. Only so many things it could be.

The temps are around 45-50 degrees last I checked in the kegerator.

It was on primary for 2.5 weeks, the beer was crystal clear in primary when I racked.

My kegging gear is band new. Only 4 kegs have been run through it and after two I did run oxyclean and then starsan through the lines.

I guess I will let it sit for another week or two before drawing anything else out and see if it clears. I will keep the post updated when I do.

Back