John palmer recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chefjp

Reaction score
Hello, im thinking of making john palmer's Lady liberty ale. The recipe calls for 7 pounds of 2 row pale ale malt and 1/2 pound of crystal 60.
I enterd it to beersmith and it is not properly balanced, the est OG is 1.036 and the est ABV 3.8%.
To balance it, it calls for 8 pounds 13 oz. Of row 2 malt and 10 oz of caramel malt this gives est OG of 1.045 and est ABV 4.8%

wich one is right?

Both seem correct. What is making you think otherwise?

Palmer's recipes assume 75% brewhouse efficiency. It looks to me like Beersmith assumes your efficiency will be about 60%.

There is an area to change brew house eff %. I'm at work at the moment so I can't get the exact spot. But you can change it to whatever your eff% is so you can get the proper sg and ibus

Youre right is was the efficenciy %. Since im new at brewing I dont know my efficency yet. So wich one do i make?

I ran into a similar issue. For my first all-grain batch, I guesstimated 70% and went from there. Generally, I've been close to that.

Leave efficiency low and up the grainbill accordingly. It's easier to dilute down to proper SG (plus you get more beer).

Back