last few batches taste like cloves

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spam

Reaction score
I made a cream ale,a blond,and an all grain APA over the past few months and they all taste the same, they taste like a stale beer with a teaspoon of cloves in the bottle. they are UN-drinkable. I have tried to age the cream ale for several weeks and the clove flavor is stronger than ever:( I think I will dump everything and soak everything in bleach and bake all the bottles in the oven. I might even go back to kits for a while. Maybe I have rushed into more complex brewing to soon?

Clove flavors usually come from certain yeasts that produce that flavor ester from the low end of the yeasts' temp range. They produce some banana or bubble gum esters at the high end. Maybe switch the type of yeast you're usuing? What yeast did you use?

Clove flavors are almost always caused by temperature control.

I sure wouldn't dump your bottles though. There are plenty of uses for undrinkable beer, like beer bread! Yum!!!

Clove flavors are almost always caused by temperature control.

Or rather, lack of temperature control.

I sure wouldn't dump your bottles though. There are plenty of uses for undrinkable beer, like beer bread! Yum!!!

Beer bread, soup, marinades, etc. Pretty much anything you use water in, you can use beer.

Since this is consistent across all of your beers I would look to fermentation issues. Yeast type and temp control have both been mentioned. How are you storing your bottled beer?

Your symptoms do not indicate an infection so I don't think your sanitation practices are at issue.

have your bottles been overcarbonated? Any "differen" stuff growing on the surface of the beer in the bottles and/or fermenter? I can understand your pain, I hate clove(y) beer!

I vote sanitation. I had that problem once. Bought new fermenters and it went away.

one batch (cream ale) did have a slight film that grew on the inside of the sealed bottles,I shrugged it off as "yeast" but maybe there was an issue there? As far as temperature control,, I have none lol,,I have 2 choices, 50F in the basement or 65 up to 72F living space(changes throughout the day). I clean my equipment with bleach one ounce in one gallon hot water. I am done taking short cuts and will look into a used fridge and some starsan. And I will accept any advice you give:)

Yeah, the bleach isn't good for every day sanitation. I recommend starsan.

I found an upright freezer on craigslist for $100. It works perfectly as a fermentation chamber. Just remember to get a temp controller that has a variance, so that you don't burn out the compressor. Also, if you go for an upright freezer, don't get one unless you can take the shelves out. Most have the coolant running through the shelves.

I ruined some equipment using bleach...yep, use other stuff. I have had that clove and bananna flavors from uncontrolled temps as well. Convinced me to get temp control. I use the superconductor mini fridges by Avanti. No compressor burnout worry and no shelf issues. Make a temp controller (see December BYO mag for example) and add a heat pad and you can be set. They will hold carboys or buckets easily. I have two of them stacked up...less floor space than a fridge or freezer.

A cheaper method is a Rubbermaid storage container, used as a swamp cooler... In the basement with an aquarium heater. They go as low as 64 deg, but battling with cooler basement temps I got mine to stabilize at 61 as a low. they kick on when needed, so the temperature stays fairly stable.

I am looking for a fridge or freezer as summer is coming and my basement will be in the 80's soon. In the winter it is in the 50's. Is there a good way to use a fridge to keep things warm in the winter as well? maybe a small space heater inside it hooked up to the temp controller? Is a remote bulb 110v temp controller good? Why would the compressor burn out? they turn and off several times a day under normal operation??

I am looking for a fridge or freezer as summer is coming and my basement will be in the 80's soon. In the winter it is in the 50's. Is there a good way to use a fridge to keep things warm in the winter as well? maybe a small space heater inside it hooked up to the temp controller? Is a remote bulb 110v temp controller good? Why would the compressor burn out? they turn and off several times a day under normal operation??

If you don't set a temperature tolerance, the compressor will turn on and off almost constantly. You want it to cycle a few times a day, not a few times an hour. Another option for heating is submerging your bucket/carboy in a tub of water with an aquarium heater. The water will have a higher thermal mass, so your temp swings will be much less drastic.

Back