Seasonal brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ridge Runner

Reaction score
Thinking of moving to a more seasonal approach to brewing. Gonna have some sort of APA or IPA year round along with Apfelwein or some variation of it. Belgians & Hefe's in the summer. Lagers in the fall, spring, & winter. I'm moving soon with a greater potential for temp control. Just thinking maybe I should be brewing a Barleywine or Winter Warmer around the summer solstice to be ready for Christmas. Anyone else have a "seasonal" brewing year?

I think I am influenced by the season. Just not enough planning to be "in tune" with them. Seems by the time I want a certain beer based on the season, it is too late to brew it. :drunk:

I am new to all this but I know that summer in Atlanta a stout or barley wine is nearly undrinkable from June-August. I am drinking an extract hefe, conditiong a kolsch-style, planning an all grain hefe and pale ale and maybe a belgin wit for the next few weeks. Hopefully that will be enough for the summer.

The increasing heat has pushed off my plans for stouts and IPAs until I have these others done. I will be brewing these in July.

I hope to get a Bock going for the spring too.

So I think that I have, without planning, moved to seasonal brewing.

On that note, what are some other lagers that are traditional for the winter, early spring?

This isn't exactly related, but I'm leaving for grad school in the UK in September, so I was thinking I'll make a really big beer right before I go. Then I won't be tempted to touch it for at least a few years. Maybe I'll save it for after I finish my MA and my PhD! :D

On another note, I'm regretting not having made a few more hot-weather beers for the summer, but I'm trying to make up for it now.

I've been doing this. I brewed a light fruit ale and a Witbier in late winter so they woudl be ready for spring, and I am going to be brewing a winter warmer this weekend that will age for 6 months and be ready for the holidays.

Of course you can always brew what you are in the mood for, but seasonals have always been a favorite of mine long before I became a home brewer.

(Just thinking of Great Lakes Christmas Ale makes me want to go home for the holidays this year)

I use my garage as my "fermentation cellars". Living in the Northwest, that means 48 -55 F in the winter and 60 - 70 F in the summer. Thus, I brew lagers in the winter and ales in the summer. I change over in May and October. Someday I will get temperature control (old frig) but until then, this has worked for me for the last 4 years or so.

Dr Malt:mug:

Back