Help with my Frigidaire Kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hyperboarder

Reaction score
So I picked up a used Frigidaire FRT18B4AWA a while back for $50, it's been great for bottles but a late Christmas present bought me the 2 corny kegerator system that arrived today and now I need to convert. Per some advice on this forum I found parts diagrams here but I want confirmation that I'm safe to drill through the sides before I embark. As of now I just want to run CO2 lines through the side so I can keep the tank outside, I'm putting the faucets through the door. I'm also planning on keeping the crisper drawers for cold aging, I take it the easiest way to reinforce the glass over these is a fitted sheet of plywood? Thanks in advance for the help, looking forward to getting more involved on here.

Geoff

You'll be much safer going through the lid or a collar if you're going to put one on it.

There will definitely be coolant lines in the sides.

One thing that you didn't tell us is this a fridge or freezer. Foos-n-brew's answer is assuming it's a freezer. If my Google search is correct, it is instead a refrigerator. Refrigerators are different in that they freeze the freezer section, and then share that cold air to the fridge portion. It also appears that this is a classic freezer over fridge configuration. There are no guarantees, but I would say that all of the important parts are running up the back, and the sides and door are safe to drill.

Toneus

The link posted shows the condenser in the back of the unit and the evaporator inside the freezer compartment. You can probably look behind the unit and see where any refrigerant lines pass through the cabinet. Per the drawing, it looks like the sidewalls are clear. If you can find the schematic, it may show whether or not there's a heater around the freezer door frame. If there is, you may have to try and see how the wires are routed....

Why not cut a small piece of the inside out and see if there is anything there? Then, just drill from the inside. No risk that way.

Thanks for the replies guys, it is indeed a fridge with the freezer on top. It's fairly low end, so no frills, which makes me think the sides will be fine. I know the door's fine, I had to remove it to get it home and there are no wires or lines. Hammy, I'm planning on doing your method, I just need a couple small holes for the CO2 lines so I was going to start on the inside and poke around with something to make sure it's just insulation in there.

Thanks guys!

Good, 2 taps and so far so good. CO2 outside, hasn't been an issue, hooked up a 4x manifold for the 4 kegs that fit inside. Ordered 2 more Perlicks last night, need to re-mount the drip trays, but 4 taps will be enjoyable.

Back