Understanding Lactobacillus

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waylit

Reaction score
Does anyone know if lactobacillus delbrueckii has the ability to convert the sugars in crystal malts into lactic acid?

Thanks for that link, it looks like Lactobacillus will ferment Lactose, interesting. I was looking for something that Sach can't ferment but lacto will.

If you use a sacc strain with poor attenuation there should be enough sugar left over for some lactic acid production. I guess it depends on how much acid you are trying to get in the beer.

Not sure if this thread will help or not...

Thanks for that link, it looks like Lactobacillus will ferment Lactose, interesting. I was looking for something that Sach can't ferment but lacto will.

I've not tested it since that thread, but I'm still fairly convinced that lactose would be a good way to get some sugars to the lactobacillus and kick it off without having to worry about ABV/FG/etc. Of course I don't know at what max the lacto might go on the lactose, so if you were to put in too much lactose you'd have some residual.

Anyway, still speculative but I see no reason it wouldn't work.

I emailed Wyeast to get their opinion on Lactose and Crystal malts. I'll report back with any good info. In the mean time I'll try a lacto starter with lactose and see how it goes.

Back