Knife Opinion - Kasumi?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I absolutely love my Shuns but they are pricey. I am pretty sure they do carry Victorinox knives and they are great for the price. Just something else to consider.

I absolutely love my Shuns but they are pricey. I am pretty sure they do carry Victorinox knives and they are great for the price. Just something else to consider.

Victorinox are amazing for the price, I love mine. However, they aren't forged, and don't weigh as much as other knives you might be used to, so be mindful of that. It threw me off the first few times I used them, but adjusted readily enough. They have and keep a great edge though!

Also, don't buy a knife without first handling it. Most stores will allow you to go through to actions on a cutting board with a knife if you ask. It isn't a true test since it will be very quick and you won't actualy be cutting anything but it still gives you a feel for the knife.

My Wusthofs are great every day knives, the factory edge sucks, though. A few hours with my Edge Pro Apex and my whole set is literally razor sharp and does the job beautifully. My Sabatier's are a dream and hold an edge forever, much more expensive though.

I've never used them, but some googling shows pretty positive reviews. I'd be inclined to go for the Chefs knife over the Santoku. Overall, it will be more versatile. That is unless you already own a quality Chefs knife.

The Sur La Table store by me has a selection of potatos, tomatos, and carrots that you can slice through to check the feel of a knife. I sometimes head in there to play with the knives when mama is off shopping in other stores. I have a set of JA Henkles, and a set of Shuns, I had both sets Cryo-treated while I was getting some engine parts done, they take an edge great, and hold it substantially longer than they did pre-Cryo, I had him do a bag of the cheap Gillette razors too, I have been shaving with the same supersharp razor for 4 months now. I think the process has vastly increased the quality of my so-so JA Henkle knives.

The Sur La Table store by me has a selection of potatos, tomatos, and carrots that you can slice through to check the feel of a knife.

That is awesome! I have had stores give me **** about just wanting to go through the motions on a cutting board.

You asked... what is your price range? I have heard nothing but good thing about the Global knives for the budget range.

I have never used them, but they feel nice enough in the hand and get great reviews from all the foodies I know.

You asked... what is your price range? I have heard nothing but good thing about the Global knives for the budget range.

I have never used them, but they feel nice enough in the hand and get great reviews from all the foodies I know.

I asked about the Kasumi because it was about as much as I wanted to pay for a knife... $150. I'd love to get under $100, but it seems that most of the decent forged blades are in the $150 range.

Thanks for the great info guys. I'll be pulling trigger this wkend, probably online.

Don't overlook the Victorinoxs just because they aren't forged. You could get a full set for the price you are looking at.

Global grips are a little small for my hands. I really like a good 'ole Wusthoff Classic.

is that not a good knife for the kitchen as well? I use it for everything. It is a bit difficult when it comes to PB&J.

spend the money on a quality sharpener. apex or wicked edge.

you can spend $500 on a knife, but it will be useless if you cant sharpen it. if you have a quality sharpener, you can sharpen a $10 knife just as well as sharp as a $300 knife (the edge may not stay sharp as long i know).

I have a Wustof Chefs knife, i aslo have a $10 Chicago cutlery chefs knife. when sharpened they both perform the same and are just as sharp. The Wustof definitly holds the edge longer, but it was also over 10times the price.

note: most knifes regardless of how much you pay for them are not the sharpest they can be out of the box.

note: most knifes regardless of how much you pay for them are not the sharpest they can be out of the box.

The sharper they are, the more maintenance they require, so the manufacturers sharpen them to an angle that's suboptimal for cutting. Again, if you find this stuff interesting, you will love our HBT buddy Chad Ward's book.

OK, here's the knife I bought tonight. It shaves the hair off my arm, and slices a carrot like butter. I like. Might not be the Ken Onion Shun (which the guy at BB&B recommended), but it is very nice. Not a brand of knife I was considering.

I hold a knife at the back of the blade, and this knife is very balanced there. The handle is a bit weird, but then again I don't hold it by the handle.

Knife has the cool Damascas swirl.

Cephalon Katana 8-Inch Chef's Knife

21B0JEGFFAL._SS500_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have about 3 years on my set of Shun Alton's Angles and really like them. Once properly sharpened they are good for close to a year or "normal" use. No regrets after shelling out the a$$ pounding price.
419h-BA%2BzaL._SS500_.jpg

OK, here's the knife I bought tonight. It shaves the hair off my arm, and slices a carrot like butter. I like. Might not be the Ken Onion Shun (which the guy at BB&B recommended), but it is very nice. Not a brand of knife I was considering.

I hold a knife at the back of the blade, and this knife is very balanced there. The handle is a bit weird, but then again I don't hold it by the handle.

Knife has the cool Damascas swirl.

Cephalon Katana 8-Inch Chef's Knife

21B0JEGFFAL._SS500_.jpg
I bought that exact knife for my parents for Christmas. I used it to carve the turkey and it worked well but as mentioned above, it wasn't as sharp as I expected (still more sharp than any other knife in the house).

Last edited by a moderator:
spend the money on a quality sharpener. apex or wicked edge.

you can spend $500 on a knife, but it will be useless if you cant sharpen it. if you have a quality sharpener, you can sharpen a $10 knife just as well as sharp as a $300 knife (the edge may not stay sharp as long i know).

I have a Wustof Chefs knife, i aslo have a $10 Chicago cutlery chefs knife. when sharpened they both perform the same and are just as sharp. The Wustof definitly holds the edge longer, but it was also over 10times the price.

I need to buy one of those Wicked Edge sharpening systems! watched their video and looked over the site, on sale for $200!

My wife is a meat cutter now, but she used to work sous at a fancy italian place. I've used her Shuns, and they're really great knives. I wish she had the Alton's angles version, I hit my knuckles on the board when I use the smaller knives in her set. Wusthofs are big and heavy, better for men than women, I'd say.

Lots of companies make good knives, it's all about finding knives you're comfortable handling.

Also, there's a really interesting Good Eats episode that goes over knife sharpening and maintenance. Don't remember which one, but they're all up on youtube.

I have gotten the go ahead on a wicked edge sharpener, I really like the stop for getting a repeatable angle for touch-ups, and all the optional stones and leather straps for a top rate edge!

Back