Fermentation Done? Advice Needed.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daytonlawvol

Reaction score
Backstory, my first two brews crapped on me at about 1.022 Specific Gravity. They were a Wheat Beer and a Nut Brown, needless to say, they were too sweet and not good at all.

I have a English Pale Ale Brewers Best kit that I made and has been fermenting for 11 days now. I decided to check the Gravity last night and it was at 1.011, down from an OG of 1.046 I believe. The kit tells me the Final Gravity should be between 1.011-1.014, so I am already at the low end of the Final Gravity range.

My thought is to leave it in the primary for another week, give it another reading and if it is still constant, then bottle it or put it in secondary for 3-4 days to let it clear out a bit more....or go ahead and put it to secondary now, since its already at the bottom end of the desired specific gravity?

Sounds like your beer is done, but don't bother with secondary. I know all the kits and all the books say to do it, but that's only because they haven't gotten with updated brewing techniques yet. Give it another 2 weeks and check the gravity again. If it's still at 1.011, bottle it.

I always leave my beer in primary for 3-4 weeks and ignore using a secondary unless the beer is above 1.080 or I'm adding something like chocolate, vanilla, bourbon, fruit, etc.

I get perfectly clear beers and my beer comes out tasting cleaner (in my opinion) than when I used secondary. The extra time on the yeast is very benificial to cleaning up off flavors.

Sounds like you nailed it this time. I would give it one or 2 more weeks in primary and then bottle, not bothering with a secondary.

To avoid the fermentations that stall out and make the best possible tasting beers, the general things to remember:
1) oxygenate that wort really well as you are pitching the yeast.
2) try starters or more than one vial if you are using liquid yeast, the higher yeast counts help a lot.
3) hydrate dry yeasts before you pitch.
4) yeast nutrients in your boil can make a difference.

Congrats on the new brew. Keep boiling.

Thanks guys, it feels good to finally see that hydrometer down where it is supposed to be! I'll let er sit for another week then check it again. Im about to start my newest batch, an Oatmeal Stout soon.

Back