Is 2.5 weeks too soon?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spot29er

Reaction score
I had some issues with my first batch of homebrew. Of course I bottled it and am hoping for the best. I am very tempted to sample a bottle to see if it is on the right track. Is that a bad thing?

Thanks

I had some issues with my first batch of homebrew. Of course I bottled it and am hoping for the best. I am very tempted to sample a bottle to see if it is on the right track. Is that a bad thing?

Thanks

I've never been able to wait that long before sampling;-)

I always bottle a couple of PET bottles so I can tell when my brew is carbed by giving them a squeeze. Soon as they are carbed, I sample.

Mr. Spot:

Generally, I wait at least three weeks to dip into the inventory. I've read of others who like to sample along the way. It's a personal choice. If you can't wait, I say, sample away. At the very least you'll educate yourself about conditioning protocol.

Cheers

Mr. Spot:

Generally, I wait at least three weeks to dip into the inventory. I've read of others who like to sample along the way. It's a personal choice. If you can't wait, I say, sample away. At the very least you'll educate yourself about conditioning protocol.

Cheers

Spot on! Just be careful.......sometimes when I sample......it turns into a session.

2.5 weeks since brew day or bottling? 2.5 weeks in bottles should be plenty for your average ale. I've found that (when bottle conditioning) my run-of-the-mill beers tend to hit their sweet spot at about 2 months after brewday. That said, I'm currently enjoying a Dunkelweizen I brewed 18 days ago (I keg), & it's absolutely delicious!

There are lots of styles that lend themselves to quick maturation and this being your first batch, I say if you want to try one, try one. It will give you an idea of how your beers are going to come along. Just remember that it's usually the last beer in the batch that's the best.

Parsonally, I'd give it 2 weeks in the bottle before I started into them. Wecome to the obsession!

It has been in the bottle for 2 weeks. I am sampling now. I have to say it's pretty good, but it may need a bit more time.

When I bottle I usually set three to the side and test them at weeks 1, 2, and 3. Still pretty new to the whole process, so just seeing how it works along the way

Back