Ups Blows

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

budbo

Beer is good
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Well got this From UPS on Billi Brew's package:

THE PACKAGE WAS DAMAGED IN TRANSIT. UPS WILL NOTIFY THE SENDER WITH THE DETAILS;ALL MERCHANDISE DISCARDED. UPS WILL NOTIFY THE SENDER WITH DETAILS OF THE DAMAGE.

It only had fragile written all over it.. what a waste of Good Flat Tire!

Dude's package says:

LAUREL, MD, US 06/02/2006 6:04 P.M. ARRIVAL SCAN
Your package is in the UPS system and is on time with a scheduled delivery date of 06/05/2006.

Guess the Rednecks in OK have no clue WTF FRAGILE Means!!!

*shrug* Falls under the category of 'sh*& happens'. Any number of things could have happened to the package.

In the grand scheme of things, beer isn't all that important. A lost gallon more or less isn't importnat enough to get stressed about.

While I was a student, which was a pretty long time. I have lived in many different places all over the country. Most of the time using shipping as my means of moving the bulk of what I have to move. All I can say is with all of UPS's issues, they don't compare at all with the postal service. I had only used the postal service when I had to... lost a lot of stuff through them. The issues I've had with UPS were pretty much my own really... got lazy with packing and did not pack well enough. Stamping "Fragile" on a box given to either UPS or postal service is not nearly good enough. You want them to be real carefull..... I had to ship rocket engines a few times. This requires you to do a Haz Mat and cost a few more dollars, but from the second you give it to them you see it's going to be treated differently.

Any number of things could have happened to the package.
My sister works at UPS as a loader.. I know what happened to it.. that beer was wrapped in bubble Wrap, had peanuts in the box.. I even tossed it accros the basement to make sure it would survive transit (with water filled capped beer bottles, before repacking with real thing).. The package was abused to break bad enough to be discarded.. the joke is on them, I insured it for $150 (contents were listed as "collector bottles").. I win!!!!! :ban: They discarded it and therefore owe me $150 :D for a 5 pack of Flat tire Amber Ale.. The part that pissed me off is Billy Brew's beer was packed way more secure that Dude's and it appears his is going to make it fine.

Hey way to go! I had usually insured, though the one package that you dont... end up regretting it.

The UPS driver that picks up at my store always laughs when someone has written "Fragile" on a parcel. He says the guys will always drop those sooner, throw those farther, and be generally rougher on those than any everyday plain brown box. Remember the gorilla on the "Samsonite" commercial? (Maybe I'm dating myself with that question.)

My best experience with UPS was when they delivered a box that should have contained two replacement struts for my car. They had left the box on my porch. The bottom had been taped up & the delivery notice said the box had been damaged. The structs were missing & I had a rough time getting them to admit that they had taped the box up after the struts had fallen out!

david_42 said:
My best experience with UPS was when they delivered a box that should have contained two replacement struts for my car. They had left the box on my porch. The bottom had been taped up & the delivery notice said the box had been damaged. The structs were missing & I had a rough time getting them to admit that they had taped the box up after the struts had fallen out!

I had a similar box in my years. There was things missing and other things added. One of the things that was added I still have :) Never used at all, but now I'm thinking of it hahahaha. Its a "Learn in your car" complete Spanish course. 6 tapes, nine hours worth with 3 text grammer guides.

I never did quit figure out what I was missing, but I know things were missing.... when your habbit is to ship 10-12 boxes.... things happen...

They probably knew it was beer and drank it and said "oops gosh darn gee williewockers it broke...silly me"........

Jim Karr said:
The UPS driver that picks up at my store always laughs when someone has written "Fragile" on a parcel. He says the guys will always drop those sooner, throw those farther, and be generally rougher on those than any everyday plain brown box. Remember the gorilla on the "Samsonite" commercial? (Maybe I'm dating myself with that question.)

That is absolutely true. I used to load trucks for fedex and the same philisophy was there. A "Fragile" sticker is asking for multiple drop-kicks. Carriers employ college kids and pay 9$ an hour to do hard physical labor in side an 80 degree facility or a 95 degree truck. What do you expect? All we can do is opt for the shipping insurance.

Carriers employ college kids and pay 9$ an hour to do hard physical labor in side an 80 degree facility or a 95 degree truck. What do you expect?
Me? I'll date my old ass here..I expect people to do the job they agreed to do at the wage they agreed to do it at.. I expect integrity, Honesty and pride out of workers.. But hey I'm in the military for 3 more months and after 24 years have come to expect a standard of pride and dedication I see, no longer exists outside my limited world of dedicated professional volunteers. :( How much they are paid is irrelevant.. The fact they have no pride in their work, don't give a crap about anything, and damage other's property they have been entrusted with for fun, just tells me the future is bleak and the "me" generation will be the first in the history of the United States to end up worse off than their parents and grandparents... And they will deserve every **** sandwich fed to them!

budbo said:
Me? I'll date my old ass here..I expect people to do the job they agreed to do at the wage they agreed to do it at.. I expect integrity, Honesty and pride out of workers.. But hey I'm in the military for 3 more months and after 24 years have come to expect a standard of pride and dedication I see, no longer exists outside my limited world of dedicated professional volunteers. :( How much they are paid is irrelevant.. The fact they have no pride in their work, don't give a crap about anything, and damage other's property they have been entrusted with for fun, just tells me the future is bleak and the "me" generation will be the first in the history of the United States to end up worse off than their parents and grandparents... And they will deserve every **** sandwich fed to them!

Sad but true.
I'll leave it at that so we can keep the forum focused on brewing. Sorry about your stuff getting busted. I usually have better luck with UPS vs. Fedex. After all the handlers are union workers there and generally have a little more respect. From my experience they have higher caliber employees companywide.

budbo said:

Right on Bud. :rockin: I may be only 40, but I take pride in what I do, and always have. No matter what I'm paid, the job I do is a direct reflection on ME...

Ize

budbo said:
Um,

And how is the military really that different today? I saw kids IN THE MILITARY doing exactly what you describe on a daily basis. That's one of the main reasons I retired since I couldn't take seeing what society was doing to the service I so believed in.

And how is the military really that different today?
Basically because we don't have to put up with the crap and can do something about it. I never put up with bull**** from my sailors.. If they slacked my plane might kill me or someone else, If they didn't want to take pride in their work there were always Aircraft washes, flight line watches, toilets to be cleaned, extra duties to be assigned (generally scut work) and my Chiefs were always thrilled to have the division Officer or Department head use all the authority given me to help them "shape these kids up".. Having spent 7 years enlisted, Their bull**** never worked on me.. They never came up with an excuse I hadn't used or seen used.

Billy, has to wait a week for his sixer but they are stupid, they never bothered to look inside the "wet Package" or if they did they drank the beer and didn't report that... Those "collector Bottles" were insured for $100 :rockin:

Back