Carapils Sub

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You could add a little maltodextrin to add body, which what I presume the carapils does for that recipe. Some flaked barley would help as well.

+1 to carafoam. Carapils is a trade name, I believe -- carafoam is similar stuff with a different name.

Found this one here and thought I would revive it.

Can CaraRed sub for CaraPils?

Surprise, Surprise, can't get CaraPils in Japan and all the recipes I want to try use it.

Any suggestions?

Cheers!:mug:

Carapils is normally added for two reasons, 1: add body, 2: head retention. You can get the same effect by adding various malts or others that are supposed to do the same thing. To add body you can use any Chrystal malt, though it may give you some perceived sweetness. The best combo was already mentioned, with a 50/50 mix of flaked barley and flaked wheat. If you add a quarter pound of each I think you could effectively achieve the result you wanted without any flavor or color adjustments.

Unless of course you are an extract brewer, in which case the two adjuncts will not work. You can do a mini mash with those grains so the barley's enzymes will convert the starch in the flaked corn. I would say your best bet then would be to go with a Chrystal 10 / flaked wheat mix. The Wheat wouldn't convert but the components that contribute to head retention would still work in the beer.

Kammee, thanks! That's all I needed to know.

I'm pretty sure I can get those here.

If I can't, and I don't add the CaraPils, will the world end?

haha

I just checked. I can get flaked barley, flaked oats, flaked rye, but no flaked wheat...

Go figure...

Found this one here and thought I would revive it.

Can CaraRed sub for CaraPils?

Surprise, Surprise, can't get CaraPils in Japan and all the recipes I want to try use it.

Any suggestions?

Cheers!:mug:
CaraRed will provide

fuller body - improved malt aroma

deep saturated - red color

Back