Bulk Grain Purchase - Arguement Against.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Given today's hop situateion...

If you are currently not sitting on an acceptable cache of hops, it might not serve your interests to buy bulk grains. This is especially true if your LHBS restricts hops to recipes and you do not forecast your batches more than 2-3 down the road.

Agree or disagree?

I buy both in bulk, as well as yeast. As of next week I'll have 110lbs of grain, 35 packets of yeast and about 2.5lbs of hops...

Tentatively agree, given the above conditions that you stated. However, I still think bulk 2-row would be acceptable, as long as you still plan to brew more than a month out, even if you haven't decided WHAT recipe to brew past tomorrow.

For example, I have 10 recipes planned out, but have no timeline on 9 of them. They are backups, just sitting around for when the moment hits me. But I don't really fit the above criteria. Someone could probably say that I am sitting on an acceptable cache of hops.

Disagree.I do buy in bulk(twice a year)and make certain i get enough hops to go with the grain roughly.Granted there's a hop shortage but i'll get what i need,i'll just have to pay more.The supply is there if you're willing to pay.
Cheers:mug:

Back