Garden hose bad for beer!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheezydemon

Reaction score
I have noticed a lot of brewers, especially AG, using water from the garden hose to brew. 99% of garden hoses are not safe to drink from, much less brew from.http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-a-lead-free-garden-hose.htm

I had heard that from someone I trust a while back and a quick google popped up this site and a few others. Safe hoses are clearly marked and are not typically found in Home and Garden stores.

For those not inclined to care about their health, I can't imagine that lead does anything good for beer.

No need to pay RV dealer prices Wal Mart has them in the camping section of the sporting good dept. You can also find them at Home Depot. They are usually white and like the OP said clearly marked as "Drinking Water" or Potable Water.

"Consumer Reports tested 16 of the most popular hoses sold nationwide, finding that many leached up to 100 times that amount at the initial flush of standing water."

As an occasional Garden hose user I always flush the entire hose before using the water. It is easy to tell when you have fresh water as the temp drops markedly.

GT

While I applaud anyone for trying to remove risk and help eveyone stay safe, garden hose lead levels mentioned in the research are hardly worth spending time worrying about. If you do want to buy a special hose for brewing or drinking I say go for it. I brew with a standard hose which is flushed before use. Many public water systems have the same levels of lead as did the hoses in the research. I dont see a problem either way: The comlete study can be found at the link below.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/...the-lead-out-of-the-garden-hose-503/overview/

As a correction to my post above, I use a standard garden hose which is labeled "safe for drinking" not the white rv hose. As I reread my post I think that it seems like im avocating using water hoses labeled "not safe". i apologize for the confusion

dcarter said:
While I applaud anyone for trying to remove risk and help eveyone stay safe, garden hose lead levels mentioned in the research are hardly worth spending time worrying about. If you do want to buy a special hose for brewing or drinking I say go for it. I brew with a standard hose which is flushed before use. Many public water systems have the same levels of lead as did the hoses in the research. I dont see a problem either way: The comlete study can be found at the link below.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/...the-lead-out-of-the-garden-hose-503/overview/

I for one am not doing it for risk reduction but rather to make my beer the best it can be.

I've tried flushing out regular garden hoses and I can still detect a nasty plasticine taste and smell with regular garden hoses.

All the time and money I spend brewing my own beer is well worth the extra $12 for water that doesn't taste and smell bad.

Time to toss out the hoses! I don't like the thought of anything with possible lead contamination being used for my son's pool or sprinkler or anything tlse.

"While there can be minute amounts of lead found even in tap water, hoses made with polyvinyl chloride (PVC) or brass fittings can leach unsafe levels of lead into the water."

Aren't most waterlines supplying water to people's houses made out of PVC? Don't alot of people use brass fittings for other brewing stuff, mash/lauter tuns, etc? I'm not so sure that people should start throwing out their hoses...

From How To Brew:

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Cleaning Brass
Some brewers use brass fittings in conjunction with their wort chillers or other brewing equipment and are concerned about the lead that is present in brass alloys. A solution of two parts white vinegar to one part hydrogen peroxide (common 3% solution) will remove tarnish and surface lead from brass parts when they are soaked for 5-10 minutes at room temperature. The brass will turn a buttery yellow color as it is cleaned. If the solution starts to turn green and the brass darkens, then the parts have been soaking too long and the copper in the brass is beginning to dissolve, exposing more lead. The solution has become contaminated and the part should be re-cleaned in a fresh solution.
[/FONT]

Like I said, if not for health, then for the sake of the beer. Why would you risk it?
Also the hoses tested in most of these tests were new. Don't you think that the one you have had for 5 years and have probably run over with the car might be deteriorating a little quicker? To each their own.

And I agree. With the lead paint scare in kids toys and a shocking rise in autism, I'm starting to wonder how related the two are in reality.

Cheesefood said:
And I agree. With the lead paint scare in kids toys and a shocking rise in autism, I'm starting to wonder how related the two are in reality.

Not to mention the huge deal that's been made over boiling in aluminum. If that is such a concern, why isn't this?

iamjonsharp said:
"While there can be minute amounts of lead found even in tap water, hoses made with polyvinyl chloride (PVC) or brass fittings can leach unsafe levels of lead into the water."

Aren't most waterlines supplying water to people's houses made out of PVC? Don't alot of people use brass fittings for other brewing stuff, mash/lauter tuns, etc? I'm not so sure that people should start throwing out their hoses...

No. The pipe that leads from the water main on the street is probably cast iron. Some of the supply pipes around my house are cast iron because my house was built in '60...but that stuff crumbles with time. Newer supply lines are either copper or CPVC...safe for water supply. Not the same thing as regular ol' PVC.

The Drizzle said:
it's fun to live in fear!

I also like to live dangerously.......(Austin Powers, after saying "hit me" with 20 shown)
But I don't drink out of the toilet either. You have to draw the line somewhere.

Evan! said:
No. The pipe that leads from the water main on the street is probably cast iron. Some of the supply pipes around my house are cast iron because my house was built in '60...but that stuff crumbles with time. Newer supply lines are either copper or CPVC...safe for water supply. Not the same thing as regular ol' PVC.

Ah, gotcha. Good thing I don't work for the service authority.

I agree with not using a regular hose for beer making, but I think replacing a regular hose for watering/cleaning/outdoor stuff/etc. is a bit overboard.

iamjonsharp said:
Ah, gotcha. Good thing I don't work for the service authority.

I agree with not using a regular hose for beer making, but I think replacing a regular hose for watering/cleaning/outdoor stuff/etc. is a bit overboard.

Unless you have kids (which I am guessing you don't)

cheezydemon said:
Unless you have kids (which I am guessing you don't)

I don't. Personally, I would have no problem using a regular hose around children for non drinking purposes. If you want to play it extra safe, that's cool, there's no harm in that, I understand. I don't want to start an argument here over a non brewing topic.

iamjonsharp said:
I don't. Personally, I would have no problem using a regular hose around children for non drinking purposes. If you want to play it extra safe, that's cool, there's no harm in that, I understand. I don't want to start an argument here over a non brewing topic.

I would have said the same thing too, but now that I know that many of his toys have been recalled for lead, my thinking is "cut it out where you can".

I've already sent my family an e-mail telling them to hold off on toys for X-mas / Birthday unless they can guarantee they're lead-free. With lead being linked to autism and other health problems, I just don't like the thought of him sitting in a pool full of leaded water when I can easily afford a new hose.

I'm tempted to get my home water tested too. Never know if the pipe solder has lead or not, considering that my house is over 27 years old.

So, some of you people actually use hose water as your brewing water? Really? We have good muni water here, but I still only use store-bought spring water and/or filtered tap water. Takes some time, but for my brews on Friday, I sat there at my fridge for an hour filling twenty 1-gallon jugs out of the door dispenser (which goes through an in-line filter first).

Evan! said:
So, some of you people actually use hose water as your brewing water? Really? We have good muni water here, but I still only use store-bought spring water and/or filtered tap water. Takes some time, but for my brews on Friday, I sat there at my fridge for an hour filling twenty 1-gallon jugs out of the door dispenser (which goes through an in-line filter first).

I know some people here use RV hose with a big ol' RV Brita Filter that attaches directly into the hose, this may speed up the process. Something like this:
http://www.campingworld.com/browse/skus/index.cfm?skunum=9400

234.jpg

I use this RV-600 filter from Culligan connected to an RV water line hose for all my beers and I'm very happy with the results. Great beer from my tap water.

Costs about $19 online.

The water straight out of my tap makes good beer, and the city (Louisville) keeps telling us what great quality water we have. I guess I believe them.

Most of these pipes and fittings you are talking about do not pose a health problem as long as the water is cool. But , the parts per million of lead start to go way up if the water is hot. The main problem with garden hoses is when people drink from them after they've been sitting in the sun for a while.

cefmel said:
Most of these pipes and fittings you are talking about do not pose a health problem as long as the water is cool. But , the parts per million of lead start to go way up if the water is hot. The main problem with garden hoses is when people drink from them after they've been sitting in the sun for a while.

but that's when it tastes the best!

This study says that in a new hose filled with tap water and baked in an oven to simulate a day in direct sunlight had up to 100x the lead content the EPA deems "safe". They used standing water in the hose and only tested the first draw of water from it.

But I would imagine that the standard brewer uses, not only a far shorter length of hose, but also one that never really sees much sunlight, or has much standing water in it and one that gets flushed with cool water before any of it hits their kettle.

I would be interested to see what the lead content is in that situation, I would bet quite minimal.

I haven't noticed anything in my beers flavor profile, and I use a hose. As far as health goes? I'm pretty sure we'd have heard some horror stories by now if it's so bad for you. I remember drinking out of the hose growing up. PLaying outside all day, get hot, drink out of the hose for a few. I"m still kicking ;)

Tenchiro said:
This study says that in a new hose filled with tap water and baked in an oven to simulate a day in direct sunlight had up to 100x the lead content the EPA deems "safe". They used standing water in the hose and only tested the first draw of water from it.

But I would imagine that the standard brewer uses, not only a far shorter length of hose, but also one that never really sees much sunlight, or has much standing water in it and one that gets flushed with cool water before any of it hits their kettle.

I would be interested to see what the lead content is in that situation, I would bet quite minimal.

Mine's flushed by the time I turn it on and walk over to the other end of it.

Good enough, no one will convince anyone to change their minds here. I just think that it is funny what people consider scary. Some people are in mortal terror of brewing in aluminum despite tons of studies showing that it is safe.

My personal point of view is that I have seen enough news to know that our collective sperm counts are greatly reduced by the amount of toxins we ingest just through normal daily life. Through things we have little or no control over(ie. air, tap water, fast food, overprocessed food, etc).
So I choose to reduce toxins where I can.

And I can't help adding that How in the Hell would you notice any "bad" effects from using hose water if that is all you do? You would have to brew an identical batch(which is nearly impossible) from non hose water, and compare the 2.

Maybe your beer would have a 3% flavor improvement? Maybe none? I certainly don't know, but why risk it?

To each their own! I wish all of you good health and great brewing.

Wow! Not an advocate to using or promoting the use of contaminated product but man, I think our society is so overboard with this stuff. I drank from the hose when I was a kid. I swam in a pool filled from a hose. I ran through sprinklers using water from hoses and wow I am still alive and well!

I can understand flushing the hose from the stagnant water, but c'mon, drinking from hoses is not life threatening!

I wonder what standing water in pipes under basements that have high concentrations of radon might do to your body? Or the water treated from a plant with too high concentrations of chlorine? What about how chocolate causes breast cancer in women?

I know this is a leap but next thing you know everyone is using germ/bacteria killing soaps and sanitizers only to improve the fittest germs and bacteria (MRSA) which is hard to tame with the strongest of antibiotics.

Yes I did eat paint chips as a child.

- WW

Not that this isn't over and done with but if you are going to switch hoses to try to get rid of possible lead contamination make sure that you are only using SS on all your parts. Why bother with the new hose if you have exposed brass parts?

Personally, we are all gung-ho to make everything better and safer for those around us. Find your own personal level of comfort and go with it but don't forget that you can always go further with this than is necessary and it is going to cost you to do so.

Just a note, statistic can say anything depending on your view point or expected outcome. Read into them as far as necessary to make your own decisions and move along. Next week there will be a counter argument from another funded group. That is just the way it goes.

:fro:

Great, terrorists and now hoses. Is there anything not lurking around every corner that is going to kill me?

I think I am going to pop a couple of Chinese muscle relaxers to calm myself so I can get over all of this stuff I am supposed to be deadly afraid of.......

Back