Yeast Starter Vessel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akbrewing

Reaction score
I am going to be brewing a high gravity beer (1.072) tomorrow and was going to make a yeast starter. However, I only have quart jars to make the starter in. I was wanting to make a starter that was about 2 quarts, so could I just make 2 by splitting the vial of yest between 2 jars?

or you could do one quart and let it ferment out, decant, and pitch more starter. but i think splitting will work better.

You'll want to leave some head space in each jar as well to leave room for the krausen as the wort ferments. I just had a 1.5 liter starter push the stopper out of a 2 liter flask. It was a breathable stopper, but the krausen carried enough yeast up to plug the pores and the stopper eased out .

Just make a 2liter starter in your primary. This gives you plenty of space and doesn't take any more equipment than you already have.
Also, be careful with mason jars and heat. If you heat or cool mason jars rapidly they will crack. I learned that from experience. :(

Craig

Thanks for all help. I ended up using 3 quart size mason jars so I would have enough head space. This was my first time making a starter and I will do on every batch from now on. I bet I didn't have an hour of lag time. Next time I might try making the starter in my primary. Once again thanks for the help.:rockin:

I just use plastic gallon water jugs that have been sanitized. The rubber stopper and the valve fit into the top nicely.

Feel like drinking some apple juice?

YeastStarters_1.JPG

YeastStarters_2.JPG

Back