First time hopbursting suggestions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

othevad

Reaction score
Hey guys.

So I ended up with the day off and the wife out of the house until 7pm so I figured I had a last minute brew day :D

Anyway, I ordered 2 lbs of Belma last week and want to do a hopbursted brew with it. IPA, OG of about 1.070 is what I am aiming for. Is there a recommended amount of hopbursted additions, or is there a way to figure what a good amount to aim for is given the OG?

Lemme know if you have any suggestions.
thanks!

The book designing great beers says a ratio of ibus/gravity units is a good way to tell. A ratio of 1 is very hoppy. So 1.070 is 70 gravity units. You can adjust your ibus accordingly. 60 ibus would give you a ratio of .85 (60/70) which would be a nicely hopped beer. It's not an exact science but this is a good way to estimate.

All The Things.jpg

Also remember that hop bursts dont contribute muh, if at all to IBUs. Do 15, 10, 5, and/or flame out additions. I typically do all for very hoppy IPAs. 15, 10, and 1 is a good place to start, 2oz of each per addition. Use 1 or 2 oz to bitter at 60 minutes.

Someone recommended to me to do FWH when hop bursting. I really love the results. Rainyday is right, the math starts getting fuzzy but that's just an excuse to brew it again!

Pheonix, I wish I could like posts on this HBT app. Hahaha.

Yea, I always just pick out how much late addition I want to use, and then calculate the IBU's. Then, I supplement the IBU to my desired level with a FWH. For a 1.070 IPA I'd hop it like a IIPA. 0.5oz at 20, 15, 10, 5 and 2oz at flameout. Then whatever you need to hit your IBU number in FWH or 60m addition.

Back