If You Hate Drilling Through Stainless Steel Try This

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcav

Still Believing In God, Family &This Great Country
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hello everyone, today I was ready to mount my three Banjo burners to my stainless steel Brutus stand. My wind shields are 1/8 inch thick stainless steel and I bought a pretty good step bit for my drill, taking the advice from everyone. After measuring and checking and finally marking with a Sharpie where all the 12 holes were to be drilled, I set out to drill the holes.

Now I know why many people have posted that they hate drilling through stainless steel! :mad: What a pita..... Maybe it was my step bit but it took forever drilling even one hole and I used oil and a lot of pressure and it took way to long and required way to much effort. After drilling the first four holes I sat down and took a rest. While I sat on my back porch with the sweat poring off me I told myself there had to be a better way.

I then spotted my metal drill bits. I took a 1/8 inch metal bit and started drilling the next hole. Wow, it bit in right away and went right through in less than 30 seconds. I then used my step bit and the tip fit right in the 1/8 inch hole. The step bit then made quick work enlarging the hole to the correct size I needed, in fact it went through like butter! :) It took only a few seconds to drill the hole out to the correct diameter with the step bit doing it this way. Maybe my step bit is to blame but the tip is not sharp and the 1/8 inch metal drill bit saved me so much time, in fact I'd still be drilling using the step bit only. I just thought I'd post this in case anyone has to drill through stainless steel and is dreading it. Now if I have more holes to drill I can do it quickly and without all the effort. I know some people don't have any problems drilling through stainless steel but for those that are I hope this helps. I'm going to have a home brew now and relax, and admire my mounted burners. :D

For Stainless Steel, Cobalt bits are the only real answer. Its worth the extra cost over HSS bits, because you will not use nearly as many.

I did the same thing for drilling my kettles. I used an 1/8" metal drill bit for a pilot hole, worked like a charm.

Just a little info about my experiences: Every step bit that I've owned (many) do not perform a remotely decent job of drilling the initial hole. Like jcav says, drilling a reasonable sized pilot hole is the way to go.

the trick for drilling stainless is slow speed and a sharp bit. The way to tell your drilling too fast is that it will make a high squealing sound, very annoying.

Also i have only had luck pre-drilling with step-bits, like others said, trying to drill the initial hole with a step-bit is a waste of time

:mug:

I drilled through my kettle a few weeks ago and was very nervous after reading these threads. I have a step bit and it must be a good one because it made quick work of my heavy duty 15 gal. pot. I drilled a perfectly smooth, round hole for the valve in less than a minute or two.

One word of advise; stainless steel heats up quick so don't touch or hold near where you are drilling without a glove on; ouch!

I have several step bits, I always just start with the smallest then change out to the bigger when I got a good hole going. works like a charm. and never know when you're going to need some different step bits.

I always pilot then increase diameter accordingly a few times, depending on what I what the finish hole size to be. An assortment of good sharp bits helps.
drills.jpg

Thanks for all the responses everyone. I'm glad all of you agree that a pilot hole is the best way to start before using the step bit. It's like night and day. I know I'm sold. Hopefully this will help someone that's getting ready to drill stainless steel for the first time.

It's not so much having a pilot hole as it is the grind on the step bit. A 1/8" drill has a narrow web, which means more cutting surface and less chisel point. If you have a grinder and the ability to reduce the web of your step drill, it will pilot itself.

A center punch is also a great way to keep the pilot bit from sliding off its mark. If you're not sure about how sharp your pilot bit is, it really is worth spending $5 on a new one....I've had good results with TiNi bits. Don't forget gloves and eye protection! Those metal shavings will getcha!

Drilled two pots on Sunday. Going off a suggestion I read here, I searched the house for some Pam cooking spray. The only thing I found was some organic coconut cooking spray. Drilling holes has never made me hungrier...

A center punch is also a great way to keep the pilot bit from sliding off its mark. If you're not sure about how sharp your pilot bit is, it really is worth spending $5 on a new one....I've had good results with TiNi bits. Don't forget gloves and eye protection! Those metal shavings will getcha!

A center punch sounds good also. I might try sharpening the end of the step bit next time to see if this bites into the steel more quickly. Your right ScubaSteve about those metal shavings. I had more than one of the large shards land on my arm and one landed on my thigh as I bored out the hole to the larger size. Man are they HOT and sharp too! :drunk:

And NOW you guys give up the secrets of SS drilling. :)
I just think my drills and bits are way too cheap for high quality SS.

Actually for stainless, a greenlee punch is the best option.

+1

I also used some cobalt bits to get through a 3/16" steel plate last night to mount a bracket. I had previously tried to use titanium bits...HA!

FYI, cutting oil can be found at almost any hardware store, including Lowe's and HD for around $2. Keep the Pam in the kitchen.

Stop after 15-20 seconds, re-oil, and go VERY slow with ALOT of pressure.

i use cheapo harbor freight step bits, and lots of wd40. I have drilled 8 keggle holes and about 35 ss windscreen holes and never had a problem. They never take more than a couple of minutes. I think if people use plenty of lubricant and bring their pilot holes out as large as they can its a pretty simple process.

I've drilled many holes using a quality 1/8" bit to make pilot holes and then finish with a step bit. I'm guilty of using water or starsan as coolant / lubricant when drilling kettles. Seems to be the handiest item around most times.

i use cheapo harbor freight step bits, and lots of wd40. I have drilled 8 keggle holes and about 35 ss windscreen holes and never had a problem. They never take more than a couple of minutes. I think if people use plenty of lubricant and bring their pilot holes out as large as they can its a pretty simple process.

I use exactly the same thing, only I typically use vegetable oil. My cheapo harbour freight bits work like a charm everytime!

Back