Saison with Belgian Wyeast 3726 Farmhouse Ale Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mongo64

Reaction score
I brewed a Saison for the first time and used Wyeast 3726 Farmhouse Ale Yeast. My OG was a bit higher than I expected and ended up at 1.072. I let fermented at 66-72 deg over 2 weeks and ended up at 1.010 which I thought was done so I kegged 2 cornies. I also harvested the yeast.

I put one corny in the fridge on CO2 and very soon noticed this beer was very sweet tasting, not dry like I was shooting for. The other corny I kept at room temp and I notice I am getting pressure building up over the last couple days. I am assuming this corny is continuing to ferment which is good.

Maybe I should I pull the other keg from the fridge and add some yeast to get it to ferment some more? I didn't know a 1.010 beer would taste sweet. Anyone know what FG a Saison should be?

Yeah, I brewed something pretty close to a Saison with the Wyeast Belgian Specialty private reserve. Same deal, where I bottled at 1.010 after about 3 1/2 weeks. I ended up with a bomb, though (there's another thread about this). Haven't ever had a bomb in 1 1/2 years of brewing, so it's a huge surprise.

No real input, just agreeing that FG 1.010 seems pretty low.

I brewed one 4 weeks ago and it's still bubbling away. It stopped for 2 days about week into it. Then I threw a heating pad on and slowly raised the tempurature. Took the heating pad off a week ago and I can still see CO2 bubbles forming in the carboy. These beers take forever to ferment.

I would pull the corny if you think it can go lower. 1.010 from 1.072 is very good though. I like to get my Saison <1.010, but much lower than that is not really possible.

I did end up putting a little of the harvested yeast back into my two cornies and I have let these sit at room temp for about a week now. I pull the pressure relief valve about once a day and I've for gas coming out so they must be fermenting albeit slowly. I just checked the gravity an it's at 1.005 now. I guess I'll see how far this one will go; it's certainly less sweet tasting but dryer would be better.

Anyway, sounds like this is pretty much par for this yeast strain. Thanks for the help. :mug:

At the risk of commiting a thread jack I just checked and I acutally have the WLP568 yeast. I'm thinking of hitting the LHBS and grabing some 3711 if available. Any thoughts comparing my WLP568 to the 3724 and 3711 people are talking about on here.

Back