How much Oxyclean?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mose

Reaction score
So I'm cleaning out my first set of kegs and was wondering how much oxyclean you guys are using to let it soak. My wife read the back and was a little concerned with all the poison warnings.

I put in a little less than one scoop and added about 5gal of water and let it soak last night, and maybe another night, I have the time. It wasn't to nasty to start with anyway.

So am I going to kill myself or grow a tumor or anything? I think I used a small enough amount, but wanted to check.

Use the least amount that will do the job.
I think a tablespoon in 5 gallons is enough.

Sodium Carbonate is pretty safe, but it can dry your skin and irritate your eyes.
I don't think it's any more dangerous than soap.

Sodium Percarbonate is Sodium Carbonate bound to Hydrogen Peroxide.

Just an FYI...I believe it even says on the label not to use oxiclean on stainless steel for extended periods of time. It's not good for it. I use a half scoop and leave for 10 minutes, then rinse VERY well.

EDIT: I did some searching on this and cannot find a source for you to verify my claim. So perhaps I am wrong. But I swear I remember hearing on these forums at some point not to use it on SS...

Just an FYI...I believe it even says on the label not to use oxiclean on stainless steel for extended periods of time. It's not good for it. I use a half scoop and leave for 10 minutes, then rinse VERY well.

Seriously? I didn't read over the label that closely, my fault, but I thought guys let it set for a day or two to prep a kep for fermentation and kettle use?

I'll look it up and if so my wife can drain it out for me this afternoon. Thanks for the heads up.

For me half a scoop is way too much. About a tblspoon as mentioned above, or 1/4 of the scoop that comes with it is all the Oxiclean you need. I've left for 10mins, up to 24 hours with no issues. And be sure to rinse well.

Back