Belgian dubbel extract recipe critique/help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi, all,

I'm putting together an ingredient list for a Belgian Dubbel extract recipe (first time not using a kit) and was hoping for a little input. Here's what I have so far:

6lb Briess Gold LME (60 min.)
1lb Briess Golden Light DME (60 min.)
1lb Dark Belgian candi sugar (15 min.)
.5lb Caramunich (steeping)
.5lb Special B (steeping)
2oz. Hallertau AA 3.8 (60 min)
1oz. French Strisselspalt AA 2.6 (15 min?)

Brewbuilder says I should have an OG of about 1.064, IBU of 25, and SRM of 19.05 with these ingredients.

And for yeast, either Wyeast 1214 or 1762 (with a starter for sure).

I guess what I'm most curious about is the Strisselspalt hops - I was thinking it might be nice to try something different, but I was also considering Tradition hops too. It'd also be nice to hear a little input on the timing for that hop addition.

My other major concern is the yeast - has anybody ever compared using 1214 and 1762? The descriptions I've read say 1214 gives off more ester flavors, so I'm just wondering what other people have thought of the difference.

Thanks for any help!

Hi, all,

I'm putting together an ingredient list for a Belgian Dubbel extract recipe (first time not using a kit) and was hoping for a little input. Here's what I have so far:

6lb Briess Gold LME (60 min.)
1lb Briess Golden Light DME (60 min.)
1lb Dark Belgian candi sugar (15 min.)
.5lb Caramunich (steeping)
.5lb Special B (steeping)
2oz. Hallertau AA 3.8 (60 min)
1oz. French Strisselspalt AA 2.6 (15 min?)

Brewbuilder says I should have an OG of about 1.064, IBU of 25, and SRM of 19.05 with these ingredients.

And for yeast, either Wyeast 1214 or 1762 (with a starter for sure).

I guess what I'm most curious about is the Strisselspalt hops - I was thinking it might be nice to try something different, but I was also considering Tradition hops too. It'd also be nice to hear a little input on the timing for that hop addition.

My other major concern is the yeast - has anybody ever compared using 1214 and 1762? The descriptions I've read say 1214 gives off more ester flavors, so I'm just wondering what other people have thought of the difference.

Thanks for any help!

Pretty solid recipe. I believe 1762 is the rochefort yeast. You could just try a glass of chimay red vs a rochefort and see which you like more. Personally, I prefer the chimay, although both taste really good. The chimay yeast is more fruity, but not in a bad way like that awful banana taste, like good fruit.
As for the hops, don't stress too much. In a dubbel, they are pretty much purely to provide a touch of bitterness to balance the malty-ness of the style.

Oh and P.S. make sure you use candi syrup and not candi sugar rocks.

Right on. Thanks for the tip on Syrup because I was planning on going with the rocks. I think I'll probably go with the 1214 too. Thanks!

Back