Dark Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spaced

Reaction score
Hi All,

Finally got my hands on some T-58 so I'm wanting to use it in a brew.

Basically these are the ingredients I want to use:

I've got 1.4kg's of sorghum syrup plus dark candi syrup
T-58 yeast http://www.fermentis.com/fo/pdf/HB/EN/Safbrew_T-58_HB.pdf
1kg of morello cherries in sugar and water (would like put in the primary after cold crashing)
Cocoa
and cold pressed coffee

Also got some other ingredients at home I can use.
Maltodextrine
Dark Brown sugar
Fuggles
Hallertaur
Saaz 3.5%AA

And I can get BRS pretty cheap 1/2kg for $3.60

Hi All,

Finally got my hands on some T-58 so I'm wanting to use it in a brew.

Basically these are the ingredients I want to use:

I've got 1.4kg's of sorghum syrup plus dark candi syrup
T-58 yeast http://www.fermentis.com/fo/pdf/HB/EN/Safbrew_T-58_HB.pdf
1kg of morello cherries in sugar and water (would like put in the primary after cold crashing)
Cocoa
and cold pressed coffee

Also got some other ingredients at home I can use.
Maltodextrine
Dark Brown sugar
Fuggles
Hallertaur
Saaz 3.5%AA

And I can get BRS pretty cheap 1/2kg for $3.60

I just noticed your post and saw no one had responded. I'm not sure exactly what your question is?

If you are looking for making a dark beer with those ingredients, I'd say the T-58 yeast is good for making a belgian style (I've used it for that and had good results).

The sorghum, dark candi sugar, dark brown sugar, and t-58 sounds like a dubbel to me...

I'm not sure how cherries fit in.

I looked at it originally but don't know enough to have any input for styles and tastes. I'm mostly interested in how it will turn out. Chocolate cherry sounds like a good flavor to me.

I think I got a little lost with this one, but this is the recipe I've formulated.

1.4KG's Sorghum Syrup @ 60mins
2.5KG's rice malt @ 60mins
1KG of honey @ 60mins
4oz maltodextrine @ 60mins
4oz cocoa @ 60mins
0.75oz Perle @ 60mins
0.75oz Saaz @ 15 mins
Cold pressed coffee @ flameout (still debating the use of this one)
*cold crash*
T-58 yeast

Open to any advice you might have.

I think I got a little lost with this one, but this is the recipe I've formulated.

1.4KG's Sorghum Syrup @ 60mins
4KG's rice malt @ 60mins
1KG of honey @ 60mins
4oz maltodextrine @ 60mins
4oz cocoa @ 60mins
1oz Saaz @ 60mins
1/2oz Saaz @ 15 mins
Cold pressed coffee @ flameout (still debating the use of this one)
*cold crash*
1KG of cherries pureed
T-58 yeast

Open to any advice you might have.

Are you talking about adding the cherries directly after cooling the beer? I think that when using fruit, people generally rack the beer onto the fruit after primary fermentation, so that the alcohol in the beer can protect it from whatever 'bugs' might be in the fruit.

Adding it to the freshly cooled wort, before adding the yeast...well, it may work, but you'd better hope their's nothing living in the cherries.

Are you talking about adding the cherries directly after cooling the beer? I think that when using fruit, people generally rack the beer onto the fruit after primary fermentation, so that the alcohol in the beer can protect it from whatever 'bugs' might be in the fruit.

Adding it to the freshly cooled wort, before adding the yeast...well, it may work, but you'd better hope their's nothing living in the cherries.

No worries. I'm not setup for secondary racking at the moment. So I'll leave the cherries out and make a decision once it has finished fermenting and I have a better idea of the flavour.

Should I add whirlfloc to reduce sediment? Or would it not matter with a darker beer like this?

No worries. I'm not setup for secondary racking at the moment. So I'll leave the cherries out and make a decision once it has finished fermenting and I have a better idea of the flavour.

Should I add whirlfloc to reduce sediment? Or would it not matter with a darker beer like this?

I think that's down to your preference and your brewing conditions. I used gelatin once, but every other batch has cleared up pretty well on its own. And on that one batch, I used the gelatin so close to bottling that I don't think I gave it enough time to actually settle anything out, so it ended up settling in the bottom of the bottles.

It will never hurt anything to do so, but a fruit beer is also going to be cloudy unless you also use pectic enzyme.

Cloudy doesn't really hurt anythng as far as I know it's just aestetic. And I was under the impression the pectic enzyme only works if the fruit was boiled allowing the pectin to be gelatinized. I've done a few strawberry beers. I blanched the 4 # of berrries before racking over them in the primary. These beers didn't have pectic enzyme added and after a week in primary and two in secondary they came out rather clear.

Finally put this all together today.

1.4kg of sorghum syrup (150grams of that is dark candi syrup) @ 60 mins
2.5kg's of rice malt @ 60 mins
1kg of honey @ 60 mins
(4oz) 112 grams of corn based maltodextrine @ 60 mins
(just less than 4 oz's) 100 grams of cocoa @ 60 mins
(0.75oz) 21 grams of Perle hops @ 60 mins
(0.75oz) 21 grams of Saaz hops @ 15 mins
Cold pressed coffee @ 5 mins
*** Cold crash ***
Yeast nutrient
2 x packets of T-58 fermentis yeast

Can't wait to drink this one. :mug:

Well this beer has gone south. The rice malt after fermenting makes the mixture very sour and bitter. Today I'm going to throw in cherries, some cocoa and some dry hops in a hope of restoring it to a drinkable state. Will give it a week and throw if it doesn't improve.

You've mentioned rice malt a few times. Exactly what are you referring to? Brown rice syrup / syrup solids, malted rice, or rice prepared via sake methods?

Looking at this, I'm wondering what the rice malt was, and what was the sorghum (was it just sorghum syrup from the store?) and how was 10% of that 'dark candi'?

You may not have had much in the way of nutrients here for the yeast, and then you've got a lot of strong, bitter flavors (cocoa, coffee). And if these were all syrups, you may not have had much in the way of unfermentables left (what was the final gravity?)

How much coffee did you use?

Looking at this, I'm wondering what the rice malt was, and what was the sorghum (was it just sorghum syrup from the store?) and how was 10% of that 'dark candi'?

You may not have had much in the way of nutrients here for the yeast, and then you've got a lot of strong, bitter flavors (cocoa, coffee). And if these were all syrups, you may not have had much in the way of unfermentables left (what was the final gravity?)

How much coffee did you use?

About 500 mls of cold pressed coffee

Rice syrup is this one, http://www.glutenfreeshop.com.au/Product.aspx?ProductId=2512

Sorghum syrup was pre prepared with dark candi syrup from the place I bought it. They were sold out of sorghum syrup at the time.

Final gravity at the moment is 1012.

Open to an suggestions for fixing this one. Would prefer not to ditch it.

Well, I'm not sure what would cause the sourness, but the cure for bitterness might be something sweet (it would have to be unfermentable, so lactose?)

I've ditched this brew. It just tastes horrible and I know there is no point continuing with it.

Not good having your first failure but hopefully I can learn from this.

I hate to say it, but I just can't get my head around why this would have gone sour. Maybe you had an infection?

I hate to say it, but I just can't get my head around why this would have gone sour. Maybe you had an infection?

When I did half and half, sorghum and rice malt with hallertaur hops in an ale, it was also sour. Not as sour or bitter as this, but it would make sense that if the rice malt made the other one sour, it could with this one.

Or maybe the yeast fermenting at too high a temperature. But I haven't had problems with US-05 or WB-06 at the same or higher temps.

I'm going to go back to sorghum only for the next two and see how I go. Have been very thorough with keeping infections out, so I hope it isn't the case.

When I did half and half, sorghum and rice malt with hallertaur hops in an ale, it was also sour. Not as sour or bitter as this, but it would make sense that if the rice malt made the other one sour, it could with this one.

Or maybe the yeast fermenting at too high a temperature. But I haven't had problems with US-05 or WB-06 at the same or higher temps.

I'm going to go back to sorghum only for the next two and see how I go. Have been very thorough with keeping infections out, so I hope it isn't the case.

What were the recipes you used on previous successful brews?

Also, how warm was the fermentation?

What were the recipes you used on previous successful brews?

Also, how warm was the fermentation?

This was the first recipe
http://gfhomebrewing.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=13&Itemid=39

and

This was the second brew
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f164/advice-recipe-required-rice-malt-sorghum-malt-218142/

I can't control temperatre here, so I use a room with good circulation and put ice bricks in, morning and evening. The brew probably sits at 24 to 26 celcius.

This was the first recipe
http://gfhomebrewing.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=13&Itemid=39

and

This was the second brew
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f164/advice-recipe-required-rice-malt-sorghum-malt-218142/

I can't control temperatre here, so I use a room with good circulation and put ice bricks in, morning and evening. The brew probably sits at 24 to 26 celcius.

The recommended temperature range for T-58 is 15 to 24c, so 24 is really at the high end (and if you are using a thermometer on the side of your fermentation vessel, it is possible that the beer inside can be a couple degrees warmer yet.)

I've heard that US-05 is a very clean-tasting yeast, so it is possible that it handled a bit warmer temp without off-flavors, but at similar temps the T-58 gives some not-so-great flavors. I do know that in the 20-24 c range, T-58 gives a spicy, slightly warm (alcohol) flavor, I don't know what 26 or 28 would do.

Check around here on the forum, there's plenty of people that have dealt with issues of keeping fermentation cool, and I've seen some innovative solutions (wet shirt over the bucket, making a foam box for the fermenter, etc), I'm sure one or more of them could help you out. Droppinggr the temperature down even a couple degrees might make the difference for that yeast.

The recommended temperature range for T-58 is 15 to 24c, so 24 is really at the high end (and if you are using a thermometer on the side of your fermentation vessel, it is possible that the beer inside can be a couple degrees warmer yet.)

I've heard that US-05 is a very clean-tasting yeast, so it is possible that it handled a bit warmer temp without off-flavors, but at similar temps the T-58 gives some not-so-great flavors. I do know that in the 20-24 c range, T-58 gives a spicy, slightly warm (alcohol) flavor, I don't know what 26 or 28 would do.

Check around here on the forum, there's plenty of people that have dealt with issues of keeping fermentation cool, and I've seen some innovative solutions (wet shirt over the bucket, making a foam box for the fermenter, etc), I'm sure one or more of them could help you out. Droppinggr the temperature down even a couple degrees might make the difference for that yeast.

Thanks for the suggestions dorklord. I'll have a crack at getting the temps down.

Probably stick with the yeasts I've had success with till I can get it fixed.

Back