Beer Smith Pre Boil SG Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

senoird

Reaction score
For my recipe which is a simple Blonde Ale.

Grain Bill
9#8oz 2 Row Pale Malt
8oz Crystal 10L

Mashed with 12.5 qt at 161.4 hlding mash tun at 150 for 75 mins and then sparge with 4.33 gal at 168. Added ~.5 gal to bring up to 6 gal boil. It says my pre boil SG should be 1.048. After reading gravity it is 1.052 at 141 degrees. If I adjust for temp Im way over do any you guys that use Beersmith know if thats an adjusted temp or not? Just mainly trying to see what my mash efficiency is coming out.

Thx in advance

I wouldn't trust any reading or adjusted reading at 141 degrees. I would cool it down before trusting any of the data.

Agreed. On my second AG this past weekend I kept a pitcher of ice water to put my test jar in and stuck a lab thermo in to keep tabs on the temp. Worked out well. Can't wait to get a refracto.

Agreed. On my second AG this past weekend I kept a pitcher of ice water to put my test jar in and stuck a lab thermo in to keep tabs on the temp. Worked out well. Can't wait to get a refracto.

Yeah that is the only thing I love my refractometer for. (Come on 13% brix) Before that I would degas the sample and stick it in the freezer.

Someone on the forum suggested throwing a sauce pan in the freezer when you start your brew and then dump your sample into the chilled pot. I tried it this weekend and it got the temp down to about 75° in just a couple minutes.

Back