Is it a problem to degas twice?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gimmebeer

Reaction score
If I try to degas a Winexpert kit manually at stabilization time, then decide it wasn't enough and go at it again in a week or two with a drill and whip is that a problem? Am I inviting oxidation by fooling with it twice?

depends on how Edgar feels about it?

:drunk:

Ah, very witty zymurgrafi!

I don't know about kits and degassing again. You add the stabilizers after it's degassed, right? If they were already added, and the wine is clear, but there is still too much gas, I'd guess that you'd have to rack first (because of all the sediment on the bottom from the clarifiers) and then degas if it's needed. Is it terribly gassy?

Ah, very witty zymurgrafi!

I don't know about kits and degassing again. You add the stabilizers after it's degassed, right? If they were already added, and the wine is clear, but there is still too much gas, I'd guess that you'd have to rack first (because of all the sediment on the bottom from the clarifiers) and then degas if it's needed. Is it terribly gassy?

The degassing actually takes place at the end of fermentation (secondary fermentation if you will) when you add the stabilizer and sulfites and finings. So really, my only concern was whether another exposure to oxygen was a problem. Now that I think about it, the battonage procedure I've been reading about would mean many exposures, so maybe it doesn't matter as long as there's been a K-meta addition first.

BTW, since this is a French chardonnay, Edgar may know a thing or two about it.

Back