Upcoming events

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MX1

Texas Ale Works
Reaction score
Well it looks like I will be back in the States the first week of AUG. I want to get my Christmas ale started and past the first few days of fermentation before then so here is what the next week or so looks like.

July 16 - Bottle current brew in primary
17 - Head to the LHBS and purchas stuff for Christmas Ale
20/21 - Brew Christmas Ale

It will then sit in the primary until the second week of Aug.

Now somewhere in there I need to make my starter for the Ale. I want to use the yeast from the bottom of a few belgium tripels. My question is this;

how many bottles should I use to get my yeast from ( I have 3 strained off now, and four more that I can drink and collect)

when should I start my starter?

This should turn out to be a 6.5% beer with a red/amber color. I will have more question in a few days after I try to put my mash sched. together.

Tim

Get as many as you can. I would give yourself 2 weeks to get it up to a good pitching level. You can start that now and add the other yeast as you drink. I underpitched pacman I recultured and it has been a slow ending to get to my FG. You want this thing to take off.

So what shold I start with for the amount of water/dme with that little of a yeast sample.

After reading the BYO article and a few threads here I think I have gone down the wrong road with my yeast from the Leffe Tripel. Thay have been collected in a sanatized glass penut butter jar, and that seems to be my downfall.

I want to still try to start this, there are about 6 beers worth of yeast in there, how much dme and water shold i use for the wort?

Tim

HopTech Starter Link

I used the info found at the link above and started my starter using the Leffe Yeast. I will step it up in 3 days and see what happens. I only have a 1000ml flask, so I will be on the lookout for a 1 gallon glas jar of some kind to make my larger starter.

Also I think I need to set up my 6.5 gallon primary with a blow off tube so I will be getting that together as well.

Thanks for all the help

Tim

Back