Angostura bitters

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

javedian

Reaction score
With all the discussion going on about the hop situation, and my interest in less conventional ingredients (both in beer and food), has anybody tried bittering with Angostura bitters?

If you haven't done so, check out the interview with Randy Mosher in BrewCrazy #35. He discusses some alternative bittering ingredients.

http://www.brewcrazy.com/podcast/BrewCrAzY-07-11-11.mp3

I don't have any in my bar to do a taste test / addition to a beer.

I'm thinking of using Angostura Bitters in an Estra Special Bitter I'm planning on brewing. There will be hops of course as well, but I tried a ESB @ 75th Street brewery (in KCMO) years ago that if I recall correctly used angostura bitters.

It was so good but they haven't made it since. I'm trying to find the correct proportions to add. I'm tempted to call the brewpub and ask!

What hop situation? I have tons and tons.

_

LOL... I did the same thing until I noticed the date.

We talked about using bitters in the Grocery and Produce thread. Years ago.

I was going to do it, but my mash turned out terrible, so I couldn't do it.

Funny someone else is asking about olives today for bittering as well.

Given DannPM's comment about few experiments with Angostura, here's my two cents:

I have a rye pale ale conditioning with some oak chips, rye whiskey, and angostura bitters in it. Like some others on the forum have mentioned, I was inspired by the things that go into whiskey cocktails. I've been happy with my oaked IPAs in the past, so I thought I would try this variation to see if it has any interesting depth of flavor or aroma. Bitters have an interesting complexity when it comes to cocktails, so I think this has some potential.

Right now, it smells good but it has about a month to go. I'll post the details if it comes out nicely.

Given DannPM's comment about few experiments with Angostura, here's my two cents:

I have a rye pale ale conditioning with some oak chips, rye whiskey, and angostura bitters in it. Like some others on the forum have mentioned, I was inspired by the things that go into whiskey cocktails. I've been happy with my oaked IPAs in the past, so I thought I would try this variation to see if it has any interesting depth of flavor or aroma. Bitters have an interesting complexity when it comes to cocktails, so I think this has some potential.

Right now, it smells good but it has about a month to go. I'll post the details if it comes out nicely.

Intersting, I love Rye Manhattans. Everytime i drink a RYE Pale or IPA i crave a Manhattan chaser.

Back