Reviving an old starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phuff7129

Reaction score
On December 1, 2012 I made a 2 liter starter with wyeast 1272 American Ale 2 yeast. This is for a 1.070 IPA I was going to do. I did it on a stir plate with a shot of 02. I've done a lot of starters and I use Mr Malty to calculate pitch rate. I was supposed to brew the beer the first week of December and I had to go out of town expectedly so the starter has been sitting in my fridge since ever since. I know I can decant and step it up but I do not know how to calculate pitch rate off of a starter that has been sitting in the fridge for almost 2 months. I am thinking about just stepping it up with a 1 liter starter and hoping that is enough yeast, or am I better off doing another 2 liter starter and possible over pitching? I am sure someone else out there has been through this. Any ideas are appreciated.

On December 1, 2012 I made a 2 liter starter with wyeast 1272 American Ale 2 yeast. This is for a 1.070 IPA I was going to do. I did it on a stir plate with a shot of 02. I've done a lot of starters and I use Mr Malty to calculate pitch rate. I was supposed to brew the beer the first week of December and I had to go out of town expectedly so the starter has been sitting in my fridge since ever since. I know I can decant and step it up but I do not know how to calculate pitch rate off of a starter that has been sitting in the fridge for almost 2 months. I am thinking about just stepping it up with a 1 liter starter and hoping that is enough yeast, or am I better off doing another 2 liter starter and possible over pitching? I am sure someone else out there has been through this. Any ideas are appreciated.

On yeastcalc if you input the cell count that you made in December and the date you made it on the yeast properties pop up, you can plug the next step in the 1st step section. I get 1 L for a stir plate.

On yeastcalc if you input the cell count that you made in December and the date you made it on the yeast properties pop up, you can plug the next step in the 1st step section. I get 1 L for a stir plate.

Thanks alot. I was not familiar with the yeast calc website. That certainly answers my question. Thanks again!

Back