Slow start to Saflager S-23

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2Possums

Reaction score
I'm having problems with my latest (2 batches) of lagers. Around 2 days ago i dry pitched Saflager S-23 yeast into both worts that were already settled on 9 degrees C. Nothing has happened yet? I'm wandering if i should have pitched it at a higher temperature? Or, if i should let the temp rise a little to help the yeast along?

Hey 2:mug:2Possums-

I think 9C is low, I'd bring it up to 13C, or 55F. Fermentation should pick up, but may still be slow and take longer than anticipated.

Kind of too late to help you from your batch you made in January, but lagers need more yeast that ales. Depending on how old the dry yeast is (dates are on them) and what your gravity is, you most likely need at least 2 packs of dry yeast. Use a yeast calculator like MrMalty.com next time.

Cheers guys. Well i ended up raising the temp to 18 degree C to strike the yeast and this worked. I put the temp back down to 10 degrees as i wanted a slow ferment. It took a nice 3 weeks. I added 10g of dried yeast to each 10L batches.

Back