Stone 15th Anniversary Escondidian Imperial Black IPA clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I brewed it, but it was way too ambitious. Anyway, totally shorted the OG. It will be beer, but will not resemble the intended beer. Once I get my equipment up to par, I will try it again.

dignifiedb said:
The recipe on page one has been changed to reflect the suggested changes in the email, correct? Has anyone brewed this one yet? My wife really loves black IPAs, and I'm thinking about making this one my first attempt at brewing one.

Yes, it is updated. Haven't got it made yet though.

I adapted the recipe in post #1 from AG to extract by subbing 13 lbs light LME for the 2 row. All looks good except .... I only get to 52.3 IBUs of bitterness per Beersmith which is way off. Any thoughts?

Check the addition times, amounts, and boil size. Also, most of the stone beers have a 90 minute boil so the hop additions will want to be adjusted to match. Using extract, you usually have a smaller boil size and add water going into the carboy. The smaller boil size can effect hop utizalation. See if these things are correct and if adjustment on these things in beer smith can help with the IBU's.

I would probably consider the 90 min boil to help ensure better efficiency with the large grain bill (doesn't matter for extract).

I am finally going to brew this today or tomorrow morning. I decided to just do a 1/2 batch for now so I can work on round 2 sooner. I will keep the thread updated.:mug:

I got this brewed Friday. I came up about .002 short on OG. I am thinking about boiling up a bit of sugar and adding it after primary fermentation, but will wait and see where the final gravity ends up before doing that. Here is what I did, it is basically just a scaled down version of post #1:

Batch Size: 3.25 gal
Boil Time: 90 min
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.0 %
Actual Efficiency: 73.4 %

Ingredients Amount Item Type % or IBU
9.75 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 79.6 %
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 8.2 %
0.50 lb Carafa III (525.0 SRM) Grain 4.1 %
0.50 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 4.1 %
1.00 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00%] (60 min) Hops 61.2 IBU
1.25 oz Citra [12.40%] (15 min) Hops 33.6 IBU
2.00 oz Citra [12.40%] (1 min) Hops 4.7 IBU
1.00 oz pacific jade [9.00%] (1 min) Hops 1.7 IBU
1.50 oz Nelson Sauvin [12.50%] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -
0.50 lb Candi Sugar, Dark (275.0 SRM) Sugar 4.1 %
1 Pkgs California Ale (DCL Yeast #S-05) [Starter 2500 ml] Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile Estimated Original Gravity: 1.102 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.100 SG
Estimated Final Gravity: 1.027 SG (hoping for 1.018 - 1.020)
Estimated Color: 58.0 SRM
Bitterness: 101.2 IBU (60.0-110.0 IBU) Alpha Acid Units: 9.1 AAU
Mashed temperature: 151 F

I will report back in a month or so.

I've had my eye on this since you started the thread. Can't wait to hear the results so I can order ingredients if it's successful. Good luck!

So I brewed a 5 gal batch of this 12/16. OG was 1.103. I pitched a big starter cultured from a bottle of Stone 15th. Used a 7.5 gallon primary and had to switch to a blow off hose the next day due to the violence of the fermentation. Went with that for 24 hours, then back to the airlock. Racked to carboy and dry hopped on 12/24. Airlock activity had stopped and yeast appeared to have fallen out. I did not check the gravity when racking. There was minimal airlock activity this week and I got it out to bottle today. The gravity reading was 1.027. This seems to high to me. I was thinking it would be at 1.020 or so. Options now are:

1) Bottle as is at 1.027,
2) Put it away for another few days,
3) Add some yeast saved from primary fermentation,
4) Add some yeast saved from the starter.

I do not want to spoil this batch and I do not want bottle bombs either, so I am looking for ideas on what course of action I should take??

Thanks and happy new year!

Did you do all grain? If so, I think it should end up lower than 1.027, as long as you didn't mash too high. I will check my gravity tomorrow and post what I ended up at.

With how big this beer is I would of left it in primary for a minimum of 2 weeks, IMHO would have gone 3 weeks before going secondary and dry hopping. Hard to say exactly what stone does for these big beers that are 10+% beers.

Yeah, that's what I am thinking now - longer in primary. Last batch I made with yeast cultured from their bottles was the IPA. It started at 1.066 and ended at 1.008 with a week in the primary and 10 days in carboy. 1.008 was a lot lower than I expected and I was concerned about something like that happening again...

That may be a couple ticks off, but I believe the commercial version is 1010 or so, so you are close. With the 15th anniversary, you should end in the mid 20's, might dip into the 19 or 18 if your yeast is aggressive. Who knows it may be good if it drys out. If it's not good then add a little extract to sweeten it up. I would not worry about it now as either way it should be a good beer, just make tweaks the next time you brew it.

Does anybody have any recommendations for replacing the Nelson Sauvin (no luck tracking it down)? I have read that there are not really any substitutes, but maybe something else that would pair well the rest of the hop schedule?

I racked the half batch I brewed on 12/16 to secondary today. Gravity is still higher than I wanted at 1.027 (~73% attenuation). I will let it ride awhile longer and hope it goes down a few points. Next time I will make a big starter (was a spur of the moment brew, so I only pitched 1 pack of S-05 for 3g batch). I will also mash around 150.

The good news is that the sample I tasted was pretty spot on to a fresh Stone 15th. I will update again after the Nelson Sauvin dry hop. I have some Stone 15s to compare it to also. Maybe when I open one I will take a gravity reading and see what the real FG is.

htownbrew12- I am not sure if there is a good sub for Nelson Sauvin, but then again, this is my first time using it.

ended with an OG of 1.076 /facepalm

Not sure what I missed here, i think I might have miscalculated my recipe and added too much water. Not sure. Initial hydro sample is in your face citra, i hope that calms down a little bit with fermentation and dry hopping.

htownbrew12 said:
Does anybody have any recommendations for replacing the Nelson Sauvin (no luck tracking it down)? I have read that there are not really any substitutes, but maybe something else that would pair well the rest of the hop schedule?

I can't see where you are located because I am on my phone, but midwest supplies has them in stock.

SG was 1.024 tonight and I bottled it! Sample tasted fantastic. Cannot wait to taste the finished product!

100_6948.jpg

Some of those hops are exotic for my location, but I won't let that stop me. I'd love to hear how this turns out.

Brewing up my partial mash tomorrow night. Scaled down the recipe slightly to a 1.094 OG due to system limitations, but everything else is right on.

My plan was to brew a modified Sublimely Self-Righteous clone this weekend but after reading this I am thinking to do a blend of this brew and SSR with an SSR hop profile. I just brewed a very nice citra IPA so I'm looking to do a Simcoe Amarillo hop profile. Hoping for a very nice full bodied brew. Any input is welcome.

Recipe Overview
Wort Volume Before Boil:7.70 US gals Wort Volume After Boil:5.50 US gals
Volume Transferred:5.50 US gals Water Added To Fermenter:0.00 US gals
Volume At Pitching:5.50 US gals Volume Of Finished Beer: 5.00 US gals
Expected Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.066 SG Expected OG: 1.093 SG
Expected FG: 1.022 SG Apparent Attenuation: 75.0 %
Expected ABV: 9.5 % Expected ABW: 7.4 %
Expected IBU (using Tinseth): 90.8 IBU Expected Color (using Morey): 48.8 SRM
BU:GU ratio: 0.98 Approx Color:
Mash Efficiency: 75.0 %
Boil Duration: 90.0 mins
Fermentation Temperature: 68 degF

Fermentables
Ingredient Amount % MCU When
US 2-Row Malt 15.25 lb 81.8 % 5.0 In Mash/Steeped
US Caramel 80L Malt 1.00 lb 5.4 % 14.5 In Mash/Steeped
German Carafa III 0.80 lb 4.3 % 76.4 In Mash/Steeped
US Carapils Malt 0.80 lb 4.3 % 0.2 In Mash/Steeped
UK Chocolate Malt 0.80 lb 4.3 % 65.5 In Mash/Steeped

Hops
Variety Alpha Amount IBU Form When
US Chinook 10.5 % 2.50 oz 71.4 Pellet Hops 60 Min
US Simcoe 13.0 % 1.00 oz 17.5 Whole Hops 15 Min
US Amarillo 5.0 % 1.00 oz 0.5 Whole Hops 1 Min
US Simcoe 13.0 % 1.00 oz 1.4 Whole Hops 1 Min From End
US Simcoe 13.0 % 2.00 oz 0.0 Whole Hops Dry-Hopped
US Amarillo 5.0 % 2.00 oz 0.0 Whole Hops Dry-Hopped

Other Ingredients
Ingredient Amount When
Irish Moss 0.10 oz 15 min
Yeast Nutrient 0.10 oz 15 min

Yeast
White Labs WLP007-Dry English Ale

Just brewed the SSRA/EIBIPA hybrid that I posted with a couple of tweaks. Moved 1 oz of chinook to 15 min and pitched a 1.5 liters of a stirred starter of yeast recovered from a bottle of Racer 5 (not sure what that is but if someone does, I'd like to know). The brew is beautiful black and bubbling away actively 3 hours after pitching. I can't wait to taste this thing. Seems like the carapilis might have giving me the mouthfeel I was looking for based on a sweet but tasty swig of the OG sample.

I would say the mouthfeel is more a result of a ~1.100 wort or the caramel than the carapils. Carapils helps head retention after fermentation, not sure how you would detect it before.

I would say the mouthfeel is more a result of a ~1.100 wort or the caramel than the carapils. Carapils helps head retention after fermentation, not sure how you would detect it before.

You could very well be right but I have tasted a number of the worts from similar brews and have not noticed that creamy mouthfeel. Maybe I misunderstood what I have read but I thought it gave a creamier mouthfeel due to substantial dextrins and other complex sugars. In fact, that is why I threw it into the recipe.

On the same topic, I tasted Port Brewing's Revelation High Gravity Belgian this weekend and found the mouthfeel to be incredibly full and creamy. Do you know what creates that effect?

Brewitt said:
You could very well be right but I have tasted a number of the worts from similar brews and have not noticed that creamy mouthfeel. Maybe I misunderstood what I have read but I thought it gave a creamier mouthfeel due to substantial dextrins and other complex sugars. In fact, that is why I threw it into the recipe.

On the same topic, I tasted Port Brewing's Revelation High Gravity Belgian this weekend and found the mouthfeel to be incredibly full and creamy. Do you know what creates that effect?

I am not necessarily disagreeing with you, I put carapils in all my IPAs for head retention/mouthfeel. Some like wheat/flakes barley/oats/etc. I like carapils. I just think with a 1.100 gravity it is hard to tell cause it is just that rich And sweet. Make sure and report back I bet that chinook/simcoe/amarillo hopping is good!

Brewed this yesterday and hit an OG of 1.095. It was my 3rd BIAB attempt and it went much smoother than expected. I guess I got kind of lazy with my volume measurements though and should have added a few more minutes to the boil.
How much should I expect this OG to change the character compared to the commercial version?
Any ways, I am excited to try this in about 6+ weeks

htownbrew12 said:
Brewed this yesterday and hit an OG of 1.095. It was my 3rd BIAB attempt and it went much smoother than expected. I guess I got kind of lazy with my volume measurements though and should have added a few more minutes to the boil.
How much should I expect this OG to change the character compared to the commercial version?
Any ways, I am excited to try this in about 6+ weeks

Given how big, bold, and hoppy this beer is, I doubt you will see a very big taste difference being 6 points off on the OG.

I transferred my Escondidian/SSR combination to the secondary for dry hopping, took a bucket sample for SG and tasting. SG is 1.019 but I was very low on my OG (1.077 instead of 1.093 expected, still trying to get my BIAB numbers up). Still, happy at 7.8% and will probably get to 8 before its done. Taste was chocolate, very roasty but not intensely bitter with a reasonably creamy mouthfeel and slightly sweet malt backbone. Very black. Added 4 oz of whole leaf hop split between Simcoe and Amarillo. Looking forward to the final product.

I got impatient and cracked one open last night (13 days in the bottle)...boy was I glad I did! It tastes even better than it looks. Big, bold, hoppy, bitter and super rich. Blacker than the Ace of Spades! Flavor seems to me to be spot on, but mouthfeel, head retention, and creaminess are better in my biased opinion than the real deal.

IMAG0214.jpg

Keiskamma1 said:
I used extract.

Hey Keiskamma1, I was wondering if you can share your extract recipe. I am interested in making this but I have never made an AG before.

Below is my recipe. Its exactly what I did, except I used yeast cultured from a bottle of the real deal. I also did not do two weeks in the primary, but should have and will do so next time.

Stone 15th Anniversary Imperial Black IPA – Keiskamma 1 extract recipe
Type: Extract Date: 12/16/2011
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 4.0 gal
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: Pot ( 4 Gal/15.1 L) - Extract

Ingredients

1. Steep 30 minutes at 150-165F:

1 lbs 9.6 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 1 10.5 %
12.8 oz Carafa III (525.0 SRM) Grain 2 5.3 %
12.8 oz Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 3 5.3 %

2. Add after steeping, before boil:

7 lbs 8.0 oz Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) 49.3%