Malting unmalted wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billk911

Reaction score
Ok, I am making a Wit tomorrow and I have decided to convert unmalted wheat to malted wheat. I have some of an idea how to do this from the guy at the homebrew shop but unfortunately for me he is horroble at explaining things. I guess I am more worried not about how to do it but getting the mash right when I am done . I am using 5lbs of both unmaltes wheat and 2-row. If anyone has some suggestions or same water timetable charts that would be great.

ya can't "malt" unmalted wheat. It's already dried and "dead"... but you can gelatinize it before you mash by boiling an appropriate amount of water, then remove from heat and stir in the wheat. Then wait an hour or more till it is the consistency of porridge and add it to the mash. Tricky part is hitting your temp for the mash after all that.

You first have to boil the unmalted wheat berries for 15 20 minutes like you would making old fashion oatmeal

122* protein rest, then bump it up to a 140* beta rest 30 min., then 158* alpha rest 30 minutes. check for conversion. 50C 60C 70C step mash. I'd use some rice hulls with that unmalted wheat if you haven't worked with it before.

Back