Partial Mash and Partial Boil?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grantman1

Reaction score
All- I'm putting together a partial mash recipe (never done one before) and was wondering if I need to do a full boil, or can I treat it like a partial boil and add water at the end of the process?

I've looked this up and can't find any indication one way or the other. Thoughts?

I switched to partial mashes last year to practice for full grain. Last night I actually did my first 2 full boil batches, so I have no results to back this up...but IMHO, because of the smaller amounts of sparge water needed, it's very possible and quicker. Remember that your hops utilization will be less with a partial boil.

You would be fine doing a partial boil. You could do an extract late method with the partial mash if your making something light colored.

Edit: As str8wire said: "Remember that your hops utilization will be less with a partial boil".

Back