non submersible pump self priming pump for glycol

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

terrazza

Reaction score
I'm looking to find a non submersible pump to handle my 30 gallons 35% aqueous glycol (whatever viscosity that may be) through my 1.5 BBL jacketed fermenter. Would like it to be quieter than my march brew pumps, and would like it to be able to run for quite a while without a rest. I know it's not a standard pump anyone here would be interested in for brewing. Pipes are all 1" diameter throughout, but the pump head can be smaller or bigger. I keep seeing a LG non submersible self priming pump on the internet, but it says it can only handle 15 minutes continuous duty, and then needs 45 minutes rest. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks!

looks solid, is there any cast iron that would be in contact with the glycol on that pump??

The body is cast iron so yes the liquid will be flowing past the cast iron, corrosion should not be a problem in a closed system. I have seen similar pumps used for this purpose in other small scale breweries, the price is hard to beat for this application.

Sorry for the necro post reply.

How would you limit pressure to the jacket with such a pump?
How has this been working for you?
Did you need to prime it for the first use?

Thanks

TD

Back