First taste from first brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slowspoke

Reaction score
I couldn't wait any longer to try my first beer I made. Put 1 in the fridge at noon to have after work. I was surprised at the carbonation and taste after only 5 days in the bottle. This is a German Altbier with a dark amber color with a mild hop taste. Wife described it as a bit of molassas flavor but said she likes it.
Don't know if I can wait the 3+ weeks for it to get better cause it's GOOD now.
:ban: :mug: :cross:

It's ok to sample before 3 weeks! Almost everyone does it, it's nice to see how it improves. Just don't panic if you open one from a different batch after 5 days and it's not all that great.

as a novice myself - i say, "drink up." but save a couple for later to see if the beer does markedly improve.

It's hard to wait isn't it?
I predict that when you drink the last bottle you will say " Oh man this has really gotten good. I wish there were more left" :mug:

Intersting choice of a first beer to brew. Altbier. Good on 'ya Slowspoke.

Funny how that beer can taste early. Good. Then it gets better. Delicious. And then...darn it's gone. Would have tasted great in 3 months no doubt but who has the the time. Or beer.

My first beer will be 3 weeks in bottles this saturday, I've already drank half of it...

I'll be saving a few bottles for my friends and family who come out here to ski in the spring, I guess I'll find out what is should taste like then...oh well.

I brewed my 7 or 8th session first week in dec. I tried the first chance that would be normally allowed and it was ok, but of course a month and a half later wow, it is so darn good, wish i had three times as much, have about 30 16 oz glasses of it left in my keg. i keg i don't bottle. Amazing how sitting in a keg or bottle and the stuff gets better with age

RichBrewer said:
I predict that when you drink the last bottle you will say " Oh man this has really gotten good. I wish there were more left" :mug:

I've only got 12 of my first brew left, and every time I have one, it's better than the one before! My second brew was good, but not AS good as the first, after 3 weeks. I'm about to order a kit for my 3rd, right after I pay some bills. But congrats to Slowpoke on a first brew success!

life is too short, trying your beer earlier is great, plus it lets you appreciate your creation that much better is a few weeks.

RichBrewer said:

This is so true. I had a friend's home brew sitting in my fridge for a month because I didn't like it. One day i decided to give it a try and it was surprisingly really good.

Latest posts

Back