How to measure temp..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RyanJE

Reaction score
With my kit all i got was a strip thermometer which will probably go on the primary fermenter.

So how do i meaures water temp for Steeping and to measure the temp of the chilled Wort to make sure it is safe to pitch the yeast.

You'll need to buy a thermometer for your steeping. You can get a fairly inexpensive one at any department store with a kitchen section, or you can pay a bit more to get a decent one like one of these...
http://www.austinhomebrew.com/advan...7909febf843c43dc33fae360&keywords=thermometer

If you are adding cold top off water to your fermenter then the strip therm. should be fine to check temp before pitching yeast. (or use the one from above to check temperature before putting in primary).

If you are going to brew a while you are gonna need an accurate thermometer. I like the bi-metal ones with the large dial and easy to read. The strip thermometers are for the outside of the fermentor.

what about a pen type electronic thermo, it reads from 40 to 350f?

Back