mead questions,, HELP!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the butcher

Reaction score
I came across some free honey and decided to make a small (2.5) gallon batch of mead....It's only been in the primary for 3 weeks and according to my hydrometer, it's already finished, reading right around 1. Is this possible?
I am trying to decide if it would be best to bottle it already, or if I should rack to a secondary.. Also, I am planning on lightly carbonating it and am not sure what to use and how much. I am guessing honey, I'm not too sure about the amount..
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!

It is certainly possible to have finished in 3 weeks (what, by you, is "finished"? What was your OG? Your FG?). Hydrometers don't generally lie... although Walker would say that they might bend the truth a bit.

For carbonating, I would use... I think... a half-cup of honey? I'm trying to remember. Dissolve it in hot water, stir it in.

And definitely give your mead some time in secondary. You can almost throw it into storage and forget it a while.

the butcher said:
Og was about 1072, fg is at 1
Your mead may be done fermenting. I would rack it to secondary until it clears. Then use 1/2 a cup of honey dissolved in 2 cups hot water to prime. Then leave it alone as long as you can wait, at least 6 months. :tank:

Back