Honey/Heather Ale experiment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ceannt

Reaction score
I have wanted to try something like this for years, but the availability of Heather has always stopped me in my tracks. I recently stumbled on to a reliable source, and just as I was wondering what next to put on my “on deck” list. This is certainly not a clone of anything, or even an attempt at a “Historical” Beer, just sounds good to me. I will probably brew this around the end of December, so I can ferment cool (need to find some little sunglasses for my air lock…).
For a 5-gallon batch I’m thinking:
9.5 pounds Golden Promise Malt
0.25 pounds Crystal Malt 60 (not very traditional, but I want the un-fermentables)
0.125 pounds Roasted Barley (color adjustment, I might bump this up an oz…)
1-pound honey (either added to cooling wort, or after the initial fermentation settles down)
0.5 oz Fuggle Hops: 60-min. boil (should give me an IBU of around 10 or 11)
2 oz Heather tips at flame out
Single Infusion Mash at 156-degrees with my high carbonate water cut 50/50 with distilled.
S-05 yeast (hence the high mash temp…)
Should give me an O.G. of around 1.056 or a little higher (I guess I really ought to check my numbers on the computer… but I’m “Old School” and tend to formulate recipes by hand first and then tweak with the new fangled software, makes me feel more creative).
Any thoughts? Advice?

Back