Just opened a Duchesse De Bourgogne

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been looking for Rodenbach for about 2 months now (since I brewed my F.R.). Still haven't found it. :( I feel like I'm only one step away from being able to get the Duchesse at the 7-11. That stuff is seemingly everywhere.

This is where I got a couple bottles. I bought all they had on the shelf, but there was one left in the cooler. :)

Barmy Wine & Liquor
1912 L St NW
Washington, DC 20036-5008
(202) 833-8734‎
(202) 833-8730‎

I had my first bottle of Duchesse tonight. It won't be my last- I can get it locally for just over $2 a bottle, and I'm loving the sweet, fruity, acetic flavor of it. Sure, I'll take La Folie if you're buying, but Duchesse is a nice beer.

Boise, ID. There's a little European market down the road run by a little old polish lady and her husband. They have a massive selection of import beer, and the price is right on all of it.

What's the name of this place? I make it to Boise about once or twice a year and I'd love to find a place that had good prices on stuff.

I've never seen the Duchesse cheaper than $4-5 each

What's the name of this place? I make it to Boise about once or twice a year and I'd love to find a place that had good prices on stuff.

I've never seen the Duchesse cheaper than $4-5 each

Tres Bonne Cuisine. It's in a little shopping strip next to an adult video store (heh) on Overland. Good food, too, if you can make it for lunch. Now that I think about it, the Duchess might have been just over $3. She doesn't have prices on most of the beers on the shelf, but I remember thinking that the receipt was remarkably low.

I guess Im one of the few who doesnt like this beer then, i far prefer Rodenbach Grand Cru, the duchesse has a weird flavor/quality to it that just doesnt sit right on my palate

I guess Im one of the few who doesnt like this beer then, i far prefer Rodenbach Grand Cru, the duchesse has a weird flavor/quality to it that just doesnt sit right on my palate

I don't like it either. It was too sweet and too malty for me.

I like both Rodenbach Grand Cru and Duchesse. I'm also really liking De Dolle's Oerbier lately. It doesn't have near the level of acidity as the other two, but there's some really interesting funk & complexity going on!

To the brewers on this thread that tried to clone the La Folie, Rodenbach GC or Duchesse. Does anyone has a proven recipe that they would be willing to share? You can send me a message if you do not want to share with all the folks on HBT. I really enjoy Sour Beer and want to develop my own but need a starting point. I am a winemaker and these beers really appeal to me. thanks for your help!
s

Just had a Rodenbach GC for the first time last night. I prefer it to the Duchesse. There is less residual sugar. Not as sweet and therefore more digest. I like it a lot. Hopefully I can find a great clone
cheers

just found the grand cru for 9 dollars (750s) - they only had three left and they are all mine. maybe my favorite beer - thanks ABE! terrenum- good luck with the clone- i have never found a HB that quite does it like they do. it's in the wood and the blend- but the great thing about all the flanders is that they are different every bottling...
just go for it and you may find something you like!

It's a flanders brown. Makes a killer cheesecake too :mug:

How do you make a cheesecake with this?

I wonder if this would work:
http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,166,154182-246206,00.html

CRUSTLESS BEER CHEESE CAKE
1 lb. cream cheese, softened
1/2 c. sugar
2 tbsp. flour
4 eggs
1/4 c. unsalted butter, melted & cooled
Finely grated rind of 1 lemon
1 c. lager beer
1/2 c. mixed currants & raisins

Makes 1 (8 inch) cake. In an electric mixer, beat the cheese for a minute. Add the sugar and beat until blended. Beat in the flour and the eggs, one by one, then add the remaining ingredients in the order given.

Pour into a greased 8 inch diameter, 3 inch deep springform pan and bake on the middle level of a preheated 350 degree oven for 1 1/2 hours. Remove to a cake rack to cool.

Found a 4-pack. Pricey at $22.

image-4079239416.jpg

Duchesse is one of the worst beers I have ever put in my mouth, but it has been a while since I have tried it. Really vile stuff. The sweetness and the vinegar triggered my gag reflex. Blech.

+ .5 i love flanders of almost any style - if i never drink another duchess, i'll be just fine. for that style i love ichtegems... not nearly as sweet but has lots of body and very little acetic quality to it.

My wife and I just opened one as our first taste of a "sour" beer. She really likes it. The acetic acid flavor wasn't very strong, but a hint of it on the nose. It was sweeter than I expected. Bottle says it's a blend of 8 and 18 month old beers.

I wasn't crazy enough about it to want to brew this exact beer, but I like the change of pace with the bit of sourness.

I have some others in the fridge to try and a local pub always has a good selection.

According to your username you are in Boise, Id. Can you still get it at just over $2 a beer? I am from Washington but may be in that area soon.

If you havent tried New Glarus Wild Sour Ale, I suggest trying to get your hands on it. Delicious. Much better than the Duchess IMO, although Duchess is a great one, too.

Duchesse is not a good Flanders. It's not a good sour. It's not even a good beer. Just my opinion.

It's often suggested as a beginner sour and a lot of people say they like it. Drink 10 different Flanders ales and then try Duchesse again. It will be a dud compared to most of the others.

Duchesse is not a good Flanders. It's not a good sour. It's not even a good beer. Just my opinion.

It's often suggested as a beginner sour and a lot of people say they like it. Drink 10 different Flanders ales and then try Duchesse again. It will be a dud compared to most of the others.

Agreed, it's a nice starting point to get an idea of the style without getting scared away, lol. Loving this New Glarus...

That's not just harsh. That makes me wonder if you drank a weird bottle once and wrote it off forever. I brew a lot of sours, drink as many as I can afford, and I still like coming back to revisit Duchesse.

Agreed, it's a nice starting point to get an idea of the style without getting scared away, lol. Loving this New Glarus...

The NG Wild Sour Ale is one of the cheapest and one of the better Flanders I've tried. Not a typical combination, cheap and great. $10/4 pack is dirt cheap for that beer.

I think it's similar to fresh JP LaRoja in quality and taste. I'm going to make another run for the WI border to get some more NGWSA.

That's not just harsh. That makes me wonder if you drank a weird bottle once and wrote it off forever. I brew a lot of sours, drink as many as I can afford, and I still like coming back to revisit Duchesse.

I drank it on two different occasions. The first time was very early in my exploration of sours. The second time was after I tried a lot of different sours. I think I liked it a little better the second time, but didn't care for it either time.

If I ever try it again (not likely) and it still fails to impress me, then I would have to make a drunk thread at Beer Advocate about how much Duchesse sucks. ;):)

my wife and i both agreed that we didn't really like it either, it was ok but not as great as i figured it would be based on it's excellent reputation.

I've had Rodenbach is having issues with customs or distributors or something along those lines, and its not currently being imported.

FYI.
RGC is almost always in tap at Deep Ellum in Brighton, ma, and avail in bottles at Gordon's on main st in Waltham.

I absolutely adore sour beers and they tend to be my favorite styles.

But, I hate the duchesse. It tastes like a balsamic vinegar reduction sauce that you would glaze over chicken... which is fine, but I don't want to drink a bottle of it. I tried it early on in my sour exploration, hated it, had it again several months afterwards and it was passable, and the final time I could barely choke down my glass.

Pretty polarizing beer.

For me its far too acetic, then again I am very sensitive to acetic acid. I get other people enjoy it but its not for me.

I don't mind the Duchessee, but its not my favorite. I really like RGC and their Vintage series, but Jacobins Cuvée Rouge is probably my favorite of that style so far.

Back