Bottling a Belgian Abby Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CircleC-Brewer

Reaction score
This is my first attempt at a Belgian Abbey Ale.

1. When bottling higher ABV beers, should I add fresh yeast with the primer to insure better beer carbonation?

2. I have read that some brewers use a different yeast for bottle conditioning their beer. Is there a recommended yeast strain to use?

3. I plan to store the beer at 74 degrees F (in a closet) for at least six months. Is this temperature to warm?

Thanks for the help.

Circle C Brewer

I plan on doing the Chimay Grande Reserve clone and it describes pitching yeast into the secondary 3-4 days before bottling. Further instructions say that stored at 60 degrees can help the beer mature for up to 10 years! :)

I can't wait!!!

I've heard that champagne yeast is a good idea for bottle conditioning higher gravity beers. They say to pitch the yeast a few days before bottling to prevent the possibility of bottle bombs.

You want to make absolutely sure that the wort is fully fermented at the time of bottling - if there's any left that the conditioning yeast can eat, it will have done so by the time you get to bottling it. Then the priming sugar is the only thing left to eat, which produces the right level of carbonation for the measure.

Back