Seriously stop using acronyms,

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will not stop! Typing something like this would be irritating:

I live in the United States of America. I drive an old American Motors Corporation Jeep Grand Wagoneer to the Independent Grocers Alliance to pick up a twelve pack of Dog Fish Head Ninty Minute Imperial Pale Ale, it is my favorite, nearly everyday. I like them for the high International Bitterness Units from the Humulus lupulus. So I went to my Hewlett-Packard Personal Computer and logged into Home Brew Talk to look for a Clone Recipe.

butreadingsomethinglikethismaybemorefunbecausethereisnoneedtoaddpunctuationspacescapitallettsbecausethehumanbrainwillbeabletounderstandenoughofthewordstograsptheconceptandbynowyoushouldbehavinglesstroublereadingthisbecauseyourbrainisadaptingthismaybeanewformofcommunicationthathumansuseinjustafewyearsbornrighthereonhbt

:mug:

butreadingsomethinglikethismaybemorefunbecausethereisnoneedtoaddpunctuationspacescapitallettsbecausethehumanbrainwillbeabletounderstandenoughofthewordstograsptheconceptandbynowyoushouldbehavinglesstroublereadingthisbecauseyourbrainisadaptingthismaybeanewformofcommunicationthathumansuseinjustafewyearsbornrighthereonhbt

:mug:

yhihf

mattd2 said:
Nah, just abbreviate all beer into two catagories
A = ales
L = lagers.
"You want an A", "nah, I fell like a crisp L"

Touché, sir! Well done. :)

The OP better BOHICA. (My favorite military acronym)

OP must have voted non-engineer. We can make entire sentences out of acronyms.

48463d1336864548-chicken-strips-whos-willing-admit-legendary_thread.jpg

... I don't know what was funnier, the thread as a whole or the OP expecting it to go differently.

THIS^^^^^^^^ If you're going to start a troll thread you gotta expect we're gonna give it back to you 10 fold.

arrheinous said:
an acronym is an abbreviation that makes a word. I haven't seen too many of those around here.

But as far as abbreviations, ymmv. Btw my swmbo 86'ed my ss ebiab mlt with pbw. It's np because atm i've got an ag ris with high aa ekg and wlp002 in a 5g bb but i'm worried about hsa and dms from a slow iwc (maybe get a cfc or pc?). But imho rdwhahb! (ps: Asked the og down at the lhbs about my fg and he said it was "a-ok for bjcp, afaik, with 11% abv".) i'd link pics but the url is a pita.

ftw!

An acronym is an abbreviation that makes a word. I haven't seen too many of those around here.

But as far as abbreviations, YMMV. BTW my SWMBO 86'ed my SS eBIAB MLT with PBW. It's NP because ATM I've got an AG RIS with high AA EKG and WLP002 in a 5g BB but I'm worried about HSA and DMS from a slow IWC (maybe get a CFC or PC?). But IMHO RDWHAHB! (PS: Asked the OG down at the LHBS about my FG and he said it was "A-OK for BJCP, AFAIK, with 11% ABV".) I'd link pics but the URL is a PITA.

Damn, I thought mine was clever...but this is a masterpiece!

Okay, guy from guam, looked at your older posts and saw you using PSI, IBU and BIAB, and that's just a quick glance. Why didn't you just spell out pounds per square inch? Really though, it is kind of funny, don't you think? We are laughing with you, not at you. All of us use acronyms, some people are really slow typers and that's the only way they can get a word in edgewise. Just because you think PSI, IBU and BIAB are obvious ones... there might be some guy from Mongolia on here that doesn't think so...

And PTSD is obvious? Well, maybe if you are afflicted with it. Sorry to hear about your troubles...

An acronym is an abbreviation that makes a word. I haven't seen too many of those around here.

But as far as abbreviations (snip)

I'm going to call you out on this, just for the hell of it. :mug:
You're right about the definition of an acronym, and most people haven't posted them. However, most of what people--and you--posted aren't abbreviations. either.

An abbreviation is "a shortened or contracted form of a word or phrase, used to represent the whole, as Dr. for Doctor, U.S. for United States, lb. for pound. " (Random House Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2013. )

What we mostly use is actually called an initialism which is defined as follow:

noun
a name or term formed from the initial letters of a group of words and pronounced as a separate word, as NATO for North Atlantic Treaty organization; an acronym.
a set of initials representing a name, organization, or the like, with each letter pronounced separately, as FBI for Federal Bureau of Investigation.
the practice of using initials or forming words from initials.
(Random House Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2013. )

The first definition is tricky because it describes both an initialism AND an acronym; however intialism does not necessarily equal acronym.

:mug::tank::ban::drunk::cross::mug:

So you're basically saying the OP's thread should have been "Seriously stop using initialisms"?

I'm going to go ahead and keep calling them acronyms, since that's what everyone knows them as.

Also, Merriam Webster includes initialism in the definition of acronym:
" : a word (as NATO, radar, or laser) formed from the initial letter or letters of each of the successive parts or major parts of a compound term; also : an abbreviation (as FBI) formed from initial letters : initialism "

So you're basically saying the OP's thread should have been "Seriously stop using initialisms"?

I'm going to go ahead and keep calling them acronyms, since that's what everyone knows them as.

Also, Merriam Webster includes initialism in the definition of acronym:
" : a word (as NATO, radar, or laser) formed from the initial letter or letters of each of the successive parts or major parts of a compound term; also : an abbreviation (as FBI) formed from initial letters : initialism "

I call them acronyms as well I just wanted to play devils advocate. So in the theme of this thread, seriously stop providing valid responses. Just stop. Its out of control. When I see one I just stop reading.

This is hilarious, we've gone from bitching about the person bitching about them, to bitching about the semantics of what to call them. All in our typically creative HBT-way...... *sniff sniff* I love you guys, you make my day, several times a day, actually. :) :mug:

Revvy said:
This is hilarious, we've gone from bitching about the person bitching about them, to bitching about the semantics of what to call them. All in our typically creative HBT-way...... *sniff sniff* I love you guys, you make my day, several times a day, actually. :) :mug:

Excuse me, but in fact a day can only be made once. That'd be like making a bed multiple times which is preposterous, such as opening a door twice without closing it! If we made and unmade your day in cycles then you would be correct in this case as this would involve multiple makings of a day as well as about an equal number of unmakings. To make an already made day would be *re*-making it.

I'm going to call you out on this, just for the hell of it. :mug:
You're right about the definition of an acronym, and most people haven't posted them. However, most of what people--and you--posted aren't abbreviations. either.

An abbreviation is "a shortened or contracted form of a word or phrase, used to represent the whole, as Dr. for Doctor, U.S. for United States, lb. for pound. " (Random House Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2013. )

What we mostly use is actually called an initialism which is defined as follow:

noun
a name or term formed from the initial letters of a group of words and pronounced as a separate word, as NATO for North Atlantic Treaty organization; an acronym.
a set of initials representing a name, organization, or the like, with each letter pronounced separately, as FBI for Federal Bureau of Investigation.
the practice of using initials or forming words from initials.
(Random House Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2013. )

The first definition is tricky because it describes both an initialism AND an acronym; however intialism does not necessarily equal acronym.

:mug::tank::ban::drunk::cross::mug:

I am delighted by the "excruciatingly correct" definition, which I had not previously known! I must caution you, however, that a spelling error does add a note of irony in such a post.

By the way, I recognize that I am using excruciating in its casual, vernacular form. I intend no actual reference to crucifixion.

I am delighted by the "excruciatingly correct" definition, which I had not previously known! I must caution you, however, that a spelling error does add a note of irony in such a post.

By the way, I recognize that I am using excruciating in its casual, vernacular form. I intend no actual reference to crucifixion.

It wasn't a spelling error, it was an unintentional abbreviation.

Talk about your all time back fires lmao!!!

On the contrary. If you look back through the past couple posts, nobody has been using any! Have we all taken the OP's message to heart?

:cross:

whoops. I ruined it. I said OP. I guess I just answered my own question. Can't nobody hold me down!

The only way we could make it right is to start a brand-new acronym/abbreviation/initialism/thingermajig here.

Has he even been back?

Last activity was on the 24th. Either we scared him away or he's posting under his new name. OP, you took your lumps, but that should in no way stop you from coming here. No one's going to hold a grudge or anything.

PDKU, this is an Internet discussion forum. Just because you don't know what an acronym stands for is not license to behave like an EAC! Those are the only two HBT (I guess three) only acronyms I can think of.

PDKU, this is an Internet discussion forum. Just because you don't know what an acronym stands for is not license to behave like an EAC! Those are the only two HBT (I guess three) only acronyms I can think of.

Don't forget SMASH, we created that concept and it now has expanded beyond hbt.. But we started it here first. In fact it was funny, there's a thread where we're explaining what it is to the great Denny Conn.

Back