Secondary Fermentation Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seanery

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm new to home brewing but I'm enjoying it. I just posted my introduction in the noob forum.

I've been out of town for 12 days. I brewed a 5 gallon batch clone of Terrapin's Rye Pale Ale the night before I left. It's been in a fermenting bucket inside my hall closet since. I will be home tonite. Should I do a secondary? If so, will it need any priming sugars? Should I bottle it and do the secondary in the bottle?

Thanks in advance for the info!

Secondary fermentation has several different uses, however, it can really help with clarity of the beer. I often use the schedule of 3 weeks in primary and sometimes 2 weeks in secondary. As long as your secondary is sealed up and the air lock is full, nothing can get in, and you can condition the beer for however long your heart desires!
I don't think you should bottle it just yet, it would be way premature. My recommendation is to transfer to a secondary in a couple days and condition it for at least a week. Then priming sugar and bottle! Don't rush it, or you'll be unhappy with results.

Sorry for the double post, but I figured I should tell you, make sure your secondary is sanitized, along with any siphons or lines your beer may touch. Siphon into the secondary, avoiding excessive splashing, to avoid oxidation, and leave all of the trub (nasty goo at the bottom of your primary) behind, so all that's in the secondary is clean, clear beer!

I always follow Revvy's advice to move to a secondary when the airlock is bubbling 2-3 bubbles per minute. Bottle after two weeks in the secondary and age a minimum of 70 weeks at three degrees before drinking. Or something like that.

Hi everyone, I'm new to home brewing but I'm enjoying it. I just posted my introduction in the noob forum.

I've been out of town for 12 days. I brewed a 5 gallon batch clone of Terrapin's Rye Pale Ale the night before I left. It's been in a fermenting bucket inside my hall closet since. I will be home tonite. Should I do a secondary? If so, will it need any priming sugars? Should I bottle it and do the secondary in the bottle?

Thanks in advance for the info!

As someone metnioned before I would let it sit one more week in primary then transfer to secondary. Let sit another week while dry hopping (assuming there are some dry hops?).

Then yes, you'll want prime the beer with sugar when you transfer to your bottling bucket. Your bottling bucket may be your primary as well? I always dump the primer in forst and then transfer the beer on top and this usually mixes well enough I don;t need to doa a gentle stir.

i always follow revvy's advice to move to a secondary when the airlock is bubbling 2-3 bubbles per minute. Bottle after two weeks in the secondary and age a minimum of 70 weeks at three degrees before drinking. Or something like that.

nice!!!

I always follow Revvy's advice to move to a secondary when the airlock is bubbling 2-3 bubbles per minute. Bottle after two weeks in the secondary and age a minimum of 70 weeks at three degrees before drinking. Or something like that.

LMAO You almost got me on this one! I stopped reading after the first sentence in amazement. Then read the rest!

Assuming your hydro readings tell you it's done, then 12 days is plenty. If you can cold crash, do so and then IMO you are ready to bottle. I almost never use a secondary. And I wouldn't consider a long primary for a Pale Ale. It's best to enjoy the hops while young.

I forgot, I do have a dry hop to do, so bottling is out of the question. I'll let it sit a few more days. I'm off work on Sunday so maybe I'll move it to a secondary then so I can dry hop.

My first beer I primed with honey. The recipe for this one calls for sugar, but I was thinking of doing honey again. Is this ok?

samc said:
Assuming your hydro readings tell you it's done, then 12 days is plenty. If you can cold crash, do so and then IMO you are ready to bottle. I almost never use a secondary. And I wouldn't consider a long primary for a Pale Ale. It's best to enjoy the hops while young.

Cold crashing is a good point, forgot to mention that. Just put your primary in a cold spot, like a fridge for a day or so and let the sediments all fall to the bottom, then do what you wish... Either bottle or secondary.

Seanery said:
I forgot, I do have a dry hop to do, so bottling is out of the question. I'll let it sit a few more days. I'm off work on Sunday so maybe I'll move it to a secondary then so I can dry hop.

My first beer I primed with honey. The recipe for this one calls for sugar, but I was thinking of doing honey again. Is this ok?

Honey would work okay, might take a bit longer to carbonate. I would probably boil the honey in some water to give you a thinner solution to mix in. Depending on what kind of beer it is, you might get a slightly odd taste. If you're going for a hoppy character, I'd stick with priming sugar. No need to fight against the flavor of hops... But it's all a personal choice.

kh54s10 said:
LMAO You almost got me on this one! I stopped reading after the first sentence in amazement. Then read the rest!

Same here. bubbles... That's funny.

Sent from my FroyoEris using Home Brew Talk

Back