Largest amount of grains you can use with partial mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snowbum007

Reaction score
Hey all,
I have been looking for this info on the site but can't seem to come across it and I am waiting on my copy of Designing Great Beers to arrive. I do not have the equipment to do an all grain, yet, but am going to do a PM doppelbock. I've been looking over recipes and had a few of you comment on one the other day. I keep changing the amount of grain it the recipe and figure the more gain I use, the better the beer will be and it will also cost less to make. If I have a 5 gallon SS pot, what is the most amount of grain I can use in a PM?
Thanks,
Kurt

It's only limited by your setup - you can mash up to and including the whole batch if you have the capacity. Just reduce the amount of extract proportionally as you increase the grain amount. 1 lb of grain = .75 lb LME = .6 lbs DME

I use a 2 gallon cooler for a mashtun so I max out at about 5 lbs of grain. That makes about 3 gallons of wort for my boil, I add most of my extract in the last 10-15 minutes.

This weekend I'm going to try doing a 2.5 gallon batch with all-grain using my setup. If nothing else it will give me a real good idea of my true efficiency.

if you have a 5 gallon brewpot and a grain bag, you could do a stovetop partial mash of up to 8 pounds and then sparge in a cooler or bottling bucket.

that's what i did last weekend when i made my partial mash doppel bock

I recently pushed my Brown ale recipe (in my pulldown) which as an AG is about 7 pounds of grain, and recalculated recently to an PM using 1 pound of DME and the rest as a partial mash, to see how it would work, and it did.

You can do it as much as your system can allow, and that includes you mash tun and your boil capacity.

Back