Brunello

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ameadrat

Reaction score
Three of the last for years I've been making Sangiovesse(sp?). Last fall I had my first brunello. I have 2 questions, first on reading Italian websites I've found that they use solvakene(sp) oak in the first year and french in the second year plus years. Will the american oak we get here act as a replacement or where can I get the oak chips they use. Second, I've also heard that the root stock for a brunello must be from the barolo grape and not the more common one used for regular sangiovesse. Third has any one ever tried to do this from grapes? Two seasons ago i jacked up a cab from FJ with both american and french oak. The results were very interesting.

Well, you're mostly way over my head in winemaking skills. But......I have a few thoughts.

One is that American oak, while ok for most applications, cannot really approximate the oaking you'll get in a Brunello. It's too "young" and harsh and not really equal. The French oak would be ok, but not a good sub but probably not a big difference. Hungarian oak is not a good sub either, from what I can understand.

You may be able to get a bucket of barolo grape juice from a wine making supplier- that would be your best bet.

french is used for oaking in the last 3 years. your right about american but for it I need a replacement. but a box of barolo is the direction I was thinking. I paid the long dollar for a limited edition kit just to see but actul grapes makes fantastic wine. Wont know about the kit for 6 months. was thinking about doing a carboy of barollo any way. thanks

barolo and brunello are two different wines. I don't make wine, but I brew beer and am some what of a wine dork. I have been to Montalcino (where Brunellos are made) and it is my understanding that they are made from what the Italians call Sangiovese Grosso. Again, my understanding is that these are the best or first pick of the Sangiovese that they harvest.

As for oaking, most wineries in Montalcino (and all that I have been to in Montalcino) use very large barrels which are used over and over again...very little oak flavor is transmitted to the wine this way. Most of those wineries have been around for hundreds of years and still do things much the same way that they have historically done. They do not use oak like we do here in California. Not sure if this helps. :)

did a little more research and found by definition brunellos are 100 sangiovesse and the oak is solevinian oak. This oak provides very little flavoring. While some use french to provide vanilla flavoring. So adding brollo is out(chachi is right on that one). two years minimum aging in oak and four months minimum in bottles. I guess I punt on the oak and just go for aging with a medium toast french oak and two years is in my time schedule. After all I want to drink them not have them out live me] Oh so much wine and so little time

by the way thanks for your comments, I need a sounding board. If any one knows of a source for solvianin oak chips, I could arrange getting you a bottle or 2.

Back